Conservative politician apologizes for saying people on welfare "needed putting down"

I’m pretty sure that being a Tory does not require you to be publicly less of a shit. Being a shit is the point.

3 Likes

I think the point of being a tory is being a shit, but not so much of a shit you can’t get elected.

Gower is a target seat for the Conservatives, so Francesca O’Brien was seen as electable before this.

5 Likes

Precisely.

@robertmckenna that’s why I said ‘less of a shit’ rather than ‘not a shit’. One can - or even needs to - be a shit to be a Tory, but one must not seem to actually be so much of a shit publicly.
BJ is the epitome: a total and utter shit through and through but with enough public persona charm that most of the public don’t think he is one.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d call it charm. It’s just that the well-practised affect of buffoonery makes de Pfeffel seem like a harmless Hoorah Henry and allows people to forget the cold and rapacious Thatcherism that lies at the core of his rotten heart.

2 Likes

That passes as charm for many brain-dead, soulless, heartless, little Englander, Daily Mail-reading fuckwits round here, I reckon.

3 Likes

I’ve got to disagree with @gracchus and @anothernewbbaccount having those policies but appearing to be nice is the Lib Dem raison d’etre. I think you have to publicly be a horrific heartless bastard to be a tory. You have to be a total, evil, shit.

What you can’t be is gauche. Which is what her statement was.

1 Like

A Tory can be gauche – for the Daily Mail base it’s “outrageous” and “funny”. What a Tory can’t be is completely blunt, unless it’s someone like Thatcher who’s made being a cold-hearted Bond villain her lifelong brand.

3 Likes

You’re right. They can do the fuck they want. Maybe that’s the point?

2 Likes

Not only that, “we can do whatever the f*ck we want” is the party’s internal slogan.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.