Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Second verse same as the first

17 Likes
11 Likes

Same story across the “developed” world.

8 Likes

Took a trip down memory lane today. I think this is the earliest post related to this variant of Coronavirus?

13 Likes

Christ, that seems like ages ago now… like several years ago, not just a half a year.

I hate… HATE this timeline.

22 Likes

As has been pointed out before, measurable antibodies may not be the be-all and end-all of immunity, but it’s all we’ve got for now. It does make me think that a vaccine is not going to easy, require multiple doses, adjuvants or other strategies. One under investigation is using a microRNA approach, which is totally novel, but will absolutely require deeper proof of efficacy than the more conventional approaches.

https://www.modernatx.com/modernas-work-potential-vaccine-against-covid-19

(Info from manufacturers, take with a grain of salt)

16 Likes

We are lit(t)erally reaching for every last straw. And we all know that you can wind a rope out of straw.

What comes next is crucial. Will the rope hold when tested? Are we able to abseil ourselves, or are we binding a noose?

ETA: don’t wanted to sound all doomy. Really hoping that our rope holds for abseiling.

7 Likes

Let me preface by saying I hate, hate needles. I get blood draws done lying down so I can self-calm and don’t lash out and endanger the med-techs.

If a vaccine requires going back every 3 or 4 months, I would absolutely fucking do that. To be less of a risk to myself and everyone else around me? 100% absolutely.

Of course, I also live in a country that provides healthcare. I recognize that it’s a greater burden in countries that do not, but that’s beyond just vaccines, let’s be honest.

24 Likes

Yeah, here cost certainly could be a barrier, but for something that requires at minimum 75% compliance, and potentially north of 90%, every additional visit decreases the rate of compliance by a significant percentage, before factoring in antivaxxers and those who are (not unreasonably) leary of a vaccine that has already been portrayed as “might not be safe or effective, but we will have it.” Obligatory WDKS. If we are counting on a vaccine in the short term so we do not have to inconvenience ourselves, we are totally screwed.

20 Likes

As well a very close look at safety, as this vaccine works in a fundamentally different way from more traditional vaccines. Not to mention that this company (which has never made a commercial vaccine before) seems to be a little cavalier about their study design and is worrying the government scientists:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2481EU

8 Likes
4 Likes
19 Likes

II see a murderer.

Negligent homicide whatever you want to call it.

BloodHands375x175

(His hands)

17 Likes

Except of course, you shouldn’t get them right now, because we’re in the middle of a fucking pandemic!

13 Likes

Fuck this guy:

15 Likes

The corn syrup water must flow

6 Likes

Speaking of that:

19 Likes

They’ve actually been doing that for a while now. It’s one of the many reasons why every Freestyle machine has its own internet connection and externally-addressable IP address. Their previous round of promotion for this feature included the ability to create your own mixes of soda that could be saved and transmitted to the machine so you didn’t have to bounce around the menu screen for 5 minutes to reproduce the “drag your cup across the entire dispenser line for 10 seconds” effect.

Nothing like using a pandemic to remind folks of your goofy software gimmick I guess…

11 Likes

Had to click through to figure out what the reporter did wrong, then…
Yeah, with salty barbed wire.

7 Likes

Same guy who sold cheap clothes under the American Apparel brand by exploiting models…

10 Likes