Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Open Letter from Councilman Steve K To Gov. Ducey: Get Out of Our Way If You’re Gonna Be Part of the COVID Problem

POSTED BY STEVE KOZACHIK ON WED, JUL 15, 2020 AT 4:27 PM

Honorable Governor Ducey:

The July 4th holiday saw examples of what you have correctly called ‘bad actors’ ignoring both mask wearing and social distancing protocols. We will very soon see the impacts of that behavior in increased COVID-19 infection rates. I feel confident in predicting that surge in sickness because we saw a similar trend in the weeks following the Memorial Day celebrations. During that holiday, scenes such as this were commonplace in the news:

outlook-mguxm55o.png

Sir, that photo was taken of you at a party that took place shortly after Memorial Day. If bar operators are “bad actors” needing to be controlled by the State, I suggest your own behavior falls well within that same category.

Full Letter

The residents of Tucson have elected me, along with my City Council colleagues, with the expectation that we will do all we can to ensure the safety of the public. If we cannot count on the Governor of the State to set a ‘good actor’ example, then we will. I once again call on you to rescind the portion of your standing Executive Order in which local jurisdictions are prohibited from taking local action related to COVID-19.

Local conditions call for local solutions. Our hospitals are beyond capacity. Out-of-state health care workers are being flown in to help support our local workers. Through the surge line, our friends and loved ones are being flown out-of-State in order to receive health care. I do not believe the actions your administration has taken go far enough in protecting my constituents. I also do not believe even your own health care advisors feel the measures in place are having the desired effect.

We as elected officials will stand before the voters and be held accountable for decisions we make on the local level. All we need is for the State to step out of the way and return to us that authority.

Sincerely,

Steve Kozachik
Ward 6 Council member

18 Likes

22 Likes

Ohio’s governor cut out yesterday’s and today’s usual 2PM briefing to do a special press conference at 5:30, timed for the local news cycle.
Instead of saying “wear masks, it’s the law, here’s what happens if you don’t, and BTW we opened too soon,” it was, “first, masks will help, and we should all wear them. Now I’m going to give 15 minutes of nice uplifting things. I hope you wear a mask. The end.”
I am so angry. I see people walking around my (liberal, slightly diverse, middle-class-ish) neighborhood without masks more every day.

20 Likes

Don’t you just love storytime?

9 Likes

looks like the space turtle from The Lathe of Heaven

12 Likes
6 Likes

A bit too bulky, IMO :slight_smile:
These PAPR hoods on Aliexpress look a bit more practical, since they can use regular P3/N100 filters with either Rd40/17" or Rd40/4mm thread:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32806906111.html
They also look terrifyingly medical (especially when you also wear cloth or surgical mask to protect others), which helps with social distancing.

4 Likes

Sigh, assholes continue to promote infection as a sign of loyalty.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-live-updates-georgia-gov-brian-kemp-bans/story?id=71813750&cid=clicksource_4380645_2_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

No one box for ABC news? Eh, Kemp bans local mask ordinances.

19 Likes

WoW! I want that thing

2 Likes

Six months ago you’d be seen as an overreacting worrywart if you bought that. Now you’d just be seen as showing off.

11 Likes

Protection against radicalized bees?

7 Likes

Funny thing is, I feel that way about a “normal” half-face respirator. It takes some nontrivial psychological effort to be That Guy in the grocery store, some days more than others. I honestly don’t think I could muster up the whatever to wear that thing, and that’s coming from someone who has been known to paint their nails to go with their PPE.

Also, and I’m sure others here have had similar experiences, but I have NEVER hit my head on as much stuff as when I’m wearing a hard hat, and all that adds is a few inches directly above. I feel like I would rip that thing off my shoulders, at least enough to break seal, about every six minutes on average.

7 Likes
2 Likes

You are absolutely not wrong. But when there is no official guidance, or worse, what there is, is demonstrably asinine, we are pretty much left to our own devices. My meltdown yesterday was mostly based on being the bearer of “You know what? TPTB have totally abandoned us and I don’t know what to tell you.” Today is not much better, but at least I have a battle plan. That feels like some degree of control.

27 Likes

Murderous sack of shit. Tarring and feathering is too good for him.

24 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Because of course

17 Likes

can-you-ever-forgive-jesus-no

Yep.

17 Likes

29 Likes