Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Sailors test positive for coronavirus after sharing firefighting gear during USS Bonhomme Richard fire

16 Likes
17 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

Slacktivist makes the point that students need to strike, because we still have no idea what the lifetime effects are on young lungs, so it’s not just their older family members to worry about but themselves as well. And then he points out that the most dangerous places in the States right now are where those students’ parents are likely to be supporters of the Republican push to ‘open the economy’, so will they have the knowledge and fortitude to stand up to all the adults in their life?

16 Likes

The positivity rate metric still seems like looking for your wallet under the street light. With all the factors of who gets tested, is it really an accurate gauge of the population, or just the one thing that gives us a clue?

9 Likes

The nice thing about positivity as a metric is that it’s harder to game. If the trumpster, say, tries to reduce testing, it actually goes up. Thus in terms of incentives, it encourages trying to make testing more available.

7 Likes

I wonder if, ten years from now, it will be very rare for a professional athlete to come from Texas, Florida or Arizona.

16 Likes
5 Likes

You know, that really should be the tagline for the Texas anti-covid efforts.

“Put on your damn mask or risk wiping out a generation of pro football players.”

14 Likes

FTFY. I’m sorry.

WDKS.

8 Likes

I get the feeling Dolt45 will try to set conditions for state and municipal aid. Remember how he tried to get Cuomo to kiss up - and how that worked out?

7 Likes

In Texas, make that high school football players and watch people start putting their male children in full hazmat suits. And still not wear a mask.

9 Likes

“Emerging COVID-19 success story: Germany’s strong enabling environment - Our World in Data” https://ourworldindata.org/covid-exemplar-germany

Not going to read that now, but leaving this here for others to read all the same.

3 Likes

Even if they agree to continue as it has been, they need to decide quickly. This next week will be the final check of the federal $600/wk payout for unemployment for many states, and many people are going to be left high and dry without it.

Me, I’m lucky to have been in the right place at the right time, so I can survive without it, but if I were living in L.A., San Francisco, NYC, or a similar place, it would be hard going.

7 Likes
16 Likes

Fucking animal! did you just piss on my floor?
what next? Covidiots devolve into poop-slinging primates? this example is not far removed from actual ape-like behavior.

8 Likes

13 Likes

I wonder if Kemp (and other governors following the playbook posted by @dommerdoodle) will make any changes once more federal money starts coming in:

I’m not sure if they want to completely break small business owners and employees, sacrifice them (and their children) to the virus, or create an artificial rock bottom scenario so they can deliver more relief as an October surprise.

8 Likes

Old white people in Florida who live in gated communities: ‘This whole covid thing is overblown. Besides, I’ll be super safe here behind these metal gates and live off of Amazon and grocery delivery services for the next year.’

About one week later their windows start shaking after the rental house half a block over starts blasting Doja Cat at full volume

10 Likes