Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

There is also trigeminal neuralgia, a nerve disorder that causes tremendous pain in the face.

4 Likes

Before you read further, this is a bullshit article. I post it as a caution in reading articles of this sort.

Yes, it says antibodies fade quickly, citing a half-life of 73 days (news to me, but plausible) It then goes on to speculate that maybe that is not so bad as it looks, without citing any data or studies to back that statement. I certainly hope this speculation is correct, but for folks who donā€™t read critically, it reads as though this is a known thing. It is not. This kind of reporting is irresponsible at best.

21 Likes

25 Likes

If Walmart offered a 50 cent discount to anyone who wore a mask from the time they entered the store until they left, these guys would be masked up the whole time.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve had that. It is excruciating, but not something that would keep you from being able to wear a mask.

12 Likes

Who is this guy, and what have they done to the real Donnie?

10 Likes

Can anyone interpret this? It sounds like good news.

1 Like
9 Likes

Maybe? The trouble is trying to project long term outcome on short term data. We have one dataset showing that asymptomatic to mildly symptomatic people generate antibodies that start to fade after about 2 months. This study funds that in mild to moderate cases (note slightly different population) antibodies seem to be stable up to 3 months. More severe infection may generate more durable immunity, or the difference in these duration data may be statistically similar. As always, WDKS and more info is needed.

21 Likes

Le sigh.

Thanks!

8 Likes

SPORTS!

5 Likes

Maggie K, well beloved to members of the bbs, has an article on the balancing of risks and activities.

15 Likes

And who gives a flying fuck?

Seriously, though, heā€™s floundering, trying anything that might improve his polling numbers.

11 Likes

Ted Bundy urges Americans to not get into cars with strangers, says he will rape and murder more people ā€˜before he is caughtā€™

12 Likes

And finally, terminal cases guarantee no recurrence.

12 Likes

The high seroprevalence at the start of the study makes me wonder about false positives in the ELISA. I didnā€™t see discussed any attempt to confirm ELISA with a virus neutralization test. Since the plasma in the study was collected for a (separate) convalescent plasma study, they have to have run VNT on some subset of the samples, I presume, so perhaps this information was omitted from the preprint. (Or is it even possible to do neutralization tests at this point? Do we have 2019-SARS-CoV-2 growing stably in cell culture?)

Even if the neutralizing antibody response fades, thatā€™s not that great a surrogate for patient immunity. We use it because we can measure it. Few patients immunized against smallpox have any measurable level of circulating antibodies after a year, but the immunity (thought to be CD8+ T-cell-mediated) lasts for decades.

Of course, CD8+ T-cell-mediated immunity wonā€™t have any effect on convalescent plasma, since the cytotoxic lymphocytes arenā€™t being transfused, so itā€™s meaningless for the real purpose of the Mount Sinai study.

As you say, WDKS.

8 Likes

Since March here, probably in other level 3 containment facilities. (Tricky times for those facilities. They donā€™t want anything to get out, and they donā€™t want anything brought in either.)

9 Likes

Sorry I didnā€™t make myself clear - emphasis was on the ā€˜stablyā€™. I know we have it growing in culture; is its infection and replication rate stable enough to support quantitative neutralization studies?

Iā€™ve worked from time to time in BSL-3 facilities. (Iā€™m not a biologist. Iā€™m an electronics geek with a seriously weird gig.) Itā€™s always a tricky time. 2019-SARS-CoV-2 might be new, but strange and deadly pathogens are those labsā€™ stock in trade.

7 Likes

Itā€™s True! The data are skewed and falsified! (But not in the direction Il Douche seems to think)

19 Likes

Here is a deeper dive into the immune response to covid, and some details of WDKS, but also some places that offer some encouragement. In the end, we are ā€œgonna science the shit out of it.ā€ The question is what sort of timeline are we looking at, and that, for the time being, is truly an unknown.

19 Likes