Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

If there is one good thing that will come out of this it will be that. We have known about human coronaviruses since the 1930s, but as long as the death-count was low, they weren’t a priority. We will probably have discovered more in this one year than the entire last decade, if not the last five. I wish it hadn’t taken an all out deadly plague to make it happen, but that’s what you get when the pursuit of knowledge is ruled by profit.

22 Likes

It would be ironic if we got a cure for the common cold out of this, as well as a vaccine for C19.

22 Likes

almost. you’ve got to phrase it in a way that hides the penny value. 10% off your first 5 dollars. then you’re set.

believe it or not, we’ve had this argument at work. i fall in the “no bats” and “no pepper spray” category.

close the store and inconvenience everyone. lose the sales of a temporary closure if necessary. it’s going to be cheaper than lawsuits. and more importantly, nobody should be asked to commit violence in the course of their job.

20 Likes

And if you publicize that it was closed for cleaning and safety, because someone wasn’t wearing a mask, enough people are going to get pissed off at the guy who forced the closure, versus the dangerously violent store employee.

These anti-maskers want a confrontation. They want a show. The baseball bats would play right into their plan and gain them sympathy.

But if the store has to close for “cleaning” every time? If it’s specifically a “we care about the health and safety of our customers”? If these assholes actually start being a tangible problem for everybody? The people who don’t care one way or another are going to start to get pissed at them. That will work better than the store getting violent.

19 Likes

Sssshhh, dont let the free market hear you!

7 Likes

The free market can GDIAF.

10 Likes

Just like when a kid takes a dump in a swimming pool. Treat it exactly the same.

12 Likes

27 Likes
10 Likes

I like the fact that this is a site that seems to aimed at the military, but has no sympathy for “Navy SEAL Karen”.

15 Likes

25 Likes

Make sure the announcement includes a photo of the scofflaw. Without a mask on, they’ll be easy to recognize by the locals in their neighborhood.

13 Likes

Where I live is the white line. Where most people here live is the purple line.

This is why we aren’t looking to have you back over for dinner¹ anytime soon.

Like I said in another thread: we have had 4-5 days of ~ 30 new cases a day. Thirty. Three-zero. And we see this as a sign of resurgence.

¹Not entirely a metaphor.

Data from here

19 Likes

This isn’t really significant, but it’s cute, and I think we could all use some of that right about now:

11 Likes

Check out https://tinyurl.com/y5fjsukr or even https://tinyurl.com/y3a5kuby - can we move the border south, please? Ideally, before the little green men move in?

(Note that it’s easy to see the states with rabid Trumpist governors along the right-hand axis. Plus California. I don’t know what’s up with California.)

6 Likes

It was you guys who insisted that the border be this far north. Now you deal with the consequences.

5 Likes

A friend just sent me this (in part because she and I are both from the Falls area [the U.S. side] originally).

A Picture Of A Canadian And American Boat At Niagara Falls Is Going Viral Because It Shows How Differently The Countries Have Dealt With COVID-19

14 Likes

Even Doug fucking Ford took this seriously.

I always figured a pandemic would hit the US hard, due to the nature of the healthcare system. I didn’t figure it would be exacerbated by people outright deciding that beer is more important than life.

21 Likes
3 Likes

While some of what she writes is true, asking for an “ironclad promise” is just amazingly stupid.

Her divisive wording and phrasing (“intimidation”, “I suppose it would be rude to ask what’s the use of surviving the coronavirus”) and argueing is not helping the matter. At all.

5 Likes