Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

8 Likes

South Africa’s outbreak claiming more lives than official figures suggest:

https://www.samrc.ac.za/media-release/weekly-deaths-suggests-higher-numbers-covid-19-deaths

7 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2020/07/23/american-airlines-furlough-1900-in-philadelphia.html

American Airlines to furlough more than 1,900 employees in Philadelphia

14 Likes

Slacktivist, drawing on the analogy of LARPing and then pivoting to how resentment is felt not by those who righteously deserve justice (BLM comes to mind as the most obvious current example) but rather by those who have absolutely no reason for it:

16 Likes

AA: “We got our shit ton of CARES cash, now go get yours.“

9 Likes

And people wonder why California has a bad covid problem

5 Likes

More hopeful news:

Once again, we’ve managed to go seven days with no deaths here.
Infections are low, but have ticked up slightly from previous weeks, including an outbreak amongst contact tracing employees., so we can’t be complacent.

Overall, I just feel overwhelming relief at the thought of this being somewhat under control here. We’ve had an awful initial wave of infections- our death rate is still above the US and Brazil per capita, so it’s a sheer relief to be able to worry less about friends and family after these past few months. Less but not completely, of course, because we’re still going at it with masks and social distancing to keep this from coming back.

16 Likes

I’m hardly surprised that female scofflaws are the target of the majority of these postings, vs the males who I’d argue are ignoring the rules in equal numbers.

12 Likes
5 Likes

What’s an interesting N=2 case study is the two extremes in my house when it comes to on-line school.

• Child #1 prefers a screaming match to actually doing any on line work. Dire clouds painted overhead, sunny rainbows painted on the other side of the hill both don’t work. This child is a social beast for whom school is what you do because your peers do it, so your friends are there, and hanging out with your friends is only moderately interfered with by the person at the front of the class. On-line, the friends are on Discord, not Google Classroom.
  • Child #2 gets up to start at 7:30am every morning and usually polishes off the work by 9am. This child prefers not to be around the peers, who are in this case just idiots that cause school to drag out for 6 hours a day instead of the 1 to 2 hours it should naturally occupy.

Child #2 is younger, but is also the one who I trust not to let the house burn down if left by themselves (especially after the incident where screaming smoke alarms didn’t really bother Child #1, but the smoke from the burning toaster eventually did).

Note the careful use of gender neutral pronouns during this entire exposition. :roll_eyes:

Now… Ontario screwed up by letting it slip that the on-line school since March was not going to cause your grades to drop, there was only upside. (Edit: N=60 sample → about ½ the kids checked out completely.)

14 Likes

24 Likes
4 Likes

Yep. I hope we learn our lesson about that, but we won’t I suspect, unless we make radical political, economic, and social changes to our global society.

14 Likes
THURSDAY, JULY 23, 2020

Why Not

by Atrios at 13:19
165 Comments

14 Likes

A Planck length from getting it…

9 Likes

Sounds like a great idea, Stephen. Let’s do it.

21 Likes
16 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes

With COVID-19, for example, doctors warned some patients’ families to watch for blue lips and pale skin — signs the respiratory system may be having difficulty delivering oxygen to the body through the bloodstream.

But as Malone Mukwende discovered, these and other symptoms used to diagnose illnesses often don’t apply to people who aren’t white.

25 Likes