Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Let’s see how many lies and fuckups he can manage here.

11 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes

Both of these make me wonder about the future. Will we see the WHO gain power to contain the spread of diseases? Would travel become slower, with mandatory health requirements, quarantine, and checkpoints? Will policing get even worse than what countries with private forces and curfews have now?

It seems like whatever pandemic plans were thought up years ago were either never implemented or they fell apart due to lack of national and global leadership. Now all we get is flail and fail. Do we need a special code word in the scientific community to bypass political bs or what?

15 Likes

From the article, quoting some covfefe admin official: “And I do think this past week was probably the first week in a couple of months since the [George] Floyd protests started where I thought Trump won every single day of the week.”

Eh? Wtf? How do you “win” a day? By living until sunset?

As to trump doing these pressers alone- that’s good. He won’t have a veneer of expertise by having real health officials standing by. Plus they won’t have to waste their time standing there. I’m sure everyone has better things to do. These things just devolve into campaign messaging and word salad anyway.
Now. If only all major press outlets will refuse to air it live and print only “highlights.” Let covfefe pay for his own campaign adverts.

16 Likes
13 Likes

Again, if Major League Baseball can’t do this, Tallahassee Unified is supposed to?

Eschaton

Monday, July 27, 2020

That Was A Fun Couple Of Days

All the greatest minds and money of MLB couldn’t make this work.

Tonight’s game between the Phillies and New York Yankees at Citizens Bank Park has been postponed following a coronavirus outbreak suffered by the Miami Marlins, according to sources.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia, quarantined in a hotel after postponing their home opener tonight against the the Baltimore Orioles. At least 14 Marlins players and coaches have tested positive for COVID-19, with eight players and two coaches testing positive Sunday, according to ESPN.

The issue every school is facing isn’t a plan for reopening, it’s the likely plan for reclosing.

Atrios at 11:01

13 Likes

32 Likes

In small-scale news about people recognizing that this is going to be a long haul, I just got an email from work about extending work-from-home requirements. They’ve been pushing back re-opening the office month by month since May, but this time they just went ahead and postponed it until the end of December at the earliest.

22 Likes

Good!

I today got an official short-twem exception of the general recall of all personnel (except high risk groups and people who have to take care of relatives, and can prove it). I need to file for “Telearbeit”, which only allows for 50 % remote work officially.

That said, other institutions managed by the same general admin already issued blanket regulations until the end of the year. Which basically say: “you can come, but you can also work from home, and our building now officially may only hold 50% of all personnel at a time, and you are needed to figure out who is coming when while minimising contacts and maintaining productivity in your departments yourselves”.

I don’t see what’s going on here. This week, I’ll be in my office, since the two co-workers I share my room with are away. Next week? Don’t know.

12 Likes

Here’s another country with a second wave, that I didn’t notice because the media’s attention was elsewhere:

14 Likes

Make your own judgement about what’s really going on.

30 Likes

They aren’t even being subtle about it. That’s what’s insulting. It’s not that they’re fudging the data, it’s that they can’t even be bothered to make it look reasonable.

18 Likes

They don’t need to do so, since they’ve got enough people who will believe whatever they throw out there as gospel truth…

17 Likes

Oh, sure, but at least fake it convincingly. It’s degrading, it is.

11 Likes

Well, not to us, cause we can see what’s happening… their stans, maybe…

9 Likes

It doesn’t even make them look particularly good, either.

13 Likes

Great thread:

13 Likes

i get that distrust, but i don’t think it’s well founded.

places like john hopkins tracker also show plateauing and they’ve never used the federal data

my understanding is that the cdc at the beginning at least wasn’t providing daily data updates ( because trump and his unqualified appointees ) so places had to build their own.

more likely i think is that we’re seeing a plateau because of limitations in testing. turn around times are growing right now - in some places it’s almost two weeks, which is just about forever in covid terms - as are positivity rates - so that means testing is overwhelmed.

my guess is, we’re seeing almost exactly the number of cases we can test for. as ( or if ) we increase testing, we’ll see the numbers rise again.

12 Likes