Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Perhaps, but their goal is to make more people dead.

Yeah, no shit.

For a while now I have considered it each personā€™s mission to make sure that they and their loved ones donā€™t get deadā€¦ whether we all realize it or not.

2020 Goal

21 Likes

I think that we will ultimately get to a point where the ā€œcurve flattensā€, not because of some policy, but because enough people (who can! important caveat) will be effectively self-locking-down (me and my immediate family).

But under their circumstances (and if course the Republicans are already claiming victory) the curve has flattened at an unimaginably horrible point.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got friends who keep inviting me over for an al fresco lunch. They think the distancing will make a huge difference, despite the impossibility of eating with a mask on. It just makes me think about droplets in the air being carried into another personā€™s face by the warm summer breeze. :sneezing_face: No thanks.

Iā€™m going to share this article with them before their kids arrive from Europe (their colleges are shut down), and hope they learn from it.

14 Likes
8 Likes
  • Reckless A/F
  • Inadvisable
  • Negligent
  • Capricious
15 Likes

Sorry if Iā€™m slow with this realisation but:

I was looking at the US figures on worldometer, and I saw something that really illustrated how bad things are- take a look at this graph

There are 2.17Million active cases at the moment. Thatā€™s not far off of the total number of cases that have already been resolved:

So even if transmission of the virus was to stop tomorrow, all these existing cases have to be resolved. Even with the most generous assumptions about the existing case load, this means that we are already going to watch tragic events unfolding over the next few weeks.

And thatā€™s before we start thinking about local or national health resources hitting running into maximum capacity.

13 Likes

If I were going to make a parody videoā€¦ it would be just like thisā€¦ maybe add an elder god at the end, tho.

7 Likes

Ugh, itā€™s on Facebook - canā€™t watch it. Was it as scary as The Daily Showā€™s take on a back to school sale?

3 Likes

The vid got shared to TikTok; itā€™s bad.

5 Likes

Yeah, I was reading it and wondering why she was going out one day after she began to feel better. I thought you had to be retested twice.

Even if itā€™s for pick up or drive thru, there is no way Iā€™d I go anywhere near a business or people with a mask until I tested negative.

9 Likes

So they want the kids to back to school, but they think all the PPE and preparations are too emotionally taxing for the kids? Iā€™m not sure what they want. Maybe to go back to 2019?

8 Likes

Not just Congressman Covid:

Eschaton

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Workinā€™ 9 to 5

People have to eat, but I doubt too many of these people are dependent on these jobs. They donā€™t have to work for people who will happily feed them - and us - to the wood chipper.

Atrios at 15:52

10 Likes

count me the odd one out then. when i think i have a virus thatā€™s killed more than half a million people, drive-through is not the first thing on my mind.

iā€™d be primarily worried about how do i protect myself and others.

11 Likes

I missed that this was after she thought she might have it.

4 Likes

I think she was reminding everyone toā€¦hold your head upā€¦keep your head upā€¦

I just skimmed the linked article, but it appears the other issue mentioned, of ā€œjust wanting to start some trouble,ā€ could be used as a description of the cause of possibly every single altercation ever.

Thatā€™s so messed up. So younger women are penalized compared to men (not mentioned in this article, but we all know it), because they might be about to start a family, and older women are penalized compared to younger women becauseā€¦they make almost as much as their male colleagues?

13 Likes

Holy crap

19 Likes

Bryan Cranston had it???

Dammit, 2020!

At least heā€™s recoveredā€¦

17 Likes

/facepalm

12 Likes

No, itā€™s because the younger women are likely to accept a lower salary. Thatā€™s the idea behind the terrible expression, ā€œWhy hire a forty when you can get two twenties for less?*ā€ This is where the virus hits harder, because older workers are less likely to find another job, and women are already facing a salary gap.
*used among IT recruiters

17 Likes