Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Who could have predicted?

20 Likes

well, yes and no.

Grant was chosen as one of the very few patients who could potentially benefit from ECMO support because he was relatively young, active and had no underlying health conditions.

“Why it seems to be worse for some patients we just don’t know. But the big thing we’ve learnt is to keep going and we will have some patients that will survive.”

“Even at day 120 the team are still working wonderfully well together to give me the best outcome that I can possibly achieve’” he says.

pumping out the co2 from your blood so you don’t have to breathe is awesome. very cool technology too. it’s also still a very small percentage of people, and a very long difficult path to recovery.

you probably also need very good insurance or a national health system for it to apply. :crying_cat_face:

13 Likes
1 Like

Camp A adhered to the measures in Georgia’s Executive Order* that allowed overnight camps to operate beginning on May 31, including requiring all trainees, staff members, and campers to provide documentation of a negative viral SARS-CoV-2 test ≤12 days before arriving. Camp A adopted most† components of CDC’s Suggestions for Youth and Summer Camps§ to minimize the risk for SARS-CoV-2 introduction and transmission. Measures not implemented were cloth masks for campers and opening windows and doors for increased ventilation in buildings. Cloth masks were required for staff members. Camp attendees were cohorted by cabin and engaged in a variety of indoor and outdoor activities, including daily vigorous singing and cheering.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/georgia-ymca-camp-coronavirus/index.html

14 Likes

ECMO stands for ExtraCorporeal Membane Oxygenation. It is a heart-lung machine pretty much like what they use in cardiac surgeries, except for much longer duration. It works great, but comes with enormous side effects, like numerous ministrokes. You have to be completely anticoaggulated so as not to clot ff the lines and the machine. Any injury bleeds pretty much forever. You are, of course, in the ICU for the duration, and the cost is astronomical. Plus most hospitals will only have a couple of units, each of which is manned 24/7 by 2 dedicated ECMO techs. This is the technology that in Oregon during their crisis had criteria set (BMI<25, age<40, etc.) to maximize the benefits. It is absolutely not broadly applicable.

20 Likes

ahhhhhhg.

really, that’s about all i have to say.

12 Likes

And this:

7 Likes

right!? sing to yourself kids. regardless of the psa on handwashing.

turns out monty python was the nostradamus of our time. ;0

6 Likes

Go ahead and add 6 months to any vaccine predictions.

19 Likes

In this country.

The reality is, we’re going to be thanking China for their vaccines long before the U.S. stops stepping on its own shoelaces.

18 Likes

This will serve to normalize the sight of the military operating on US soil, while distributing them around the country in case they are needed to quell any violent protests.

"I don’t see how we can work out the details more than we have been,” the official said, adding that it would allow the Trump administration “to address all of those different contingencies based on the vaccine as we learn which vaccine works best for which type of person.”

Oh, okay. It certainly makes no sense to use valuable vaccines willy-nilly on the wrong kind of person.

12 Likes

“The dad had passed away probably four months ago, and the mom had passed away two months before that,” he recalled. “So the kids were just trying to make their way, and there was nobody that was really helping them.

18 Likes

I don’t much care for the aides and interns who chose to work for a man who puts his potlical statments above their health. But I feel bad for the support staff. The article I read had some quotes from ITS. I doubt those positions are political. The cleaning crew and food service employees are almost certainly not and they are being exposed too.

13 Likes

Shocker:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/how-many-people-in-the-u-s-are-hospitalized-with-covid-19-who-knows

In mid-July, the Trump administration instructed hospitals to change the way they reported data on their coronavirus patients, promising the new approach would provide better, more up-to-the-minute information about the virus’s toll and allow resources and supplies to be quickly dispatched across the country.

Instead, the move has created widespread confusion, leaving some states in the dark about their hospitals’ remaining bed and intensive care capacity and, at least temporarily, removing this information from public view. As a result, it has been unclear how many people are in hospitals being treated for COVID-19 at a time when the number of infected patients nationally has been soaring.

10 Likes

Anybody shocked? No one? Ah, well.

19 Likes
7 Likes

Might I recommend a light course of Duck and Cover?

10 Likes

Fixed.

12 Likes

Back-peddle: He wasn’t saying kick them out now, he was just asking questions.

16 Likes

Cancel Culture run amok!

7 Likes