Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

If only I could believe that the administration is not manipulating the numbers, but I cannot. As soon as stats were taken from CDC, we saw “flattening.” It could be coincidence, but really?

18 Likes
11 Likes

Oh boy, more discouraging news…

13 Likes

That’s as close to unanimous as anything gets.

24 Likes

Coronavirus: tests suggest 1.48 million people in Italy have antibodies

The estimate suggests that six times as many people have come into contact with the coronavirus than the number of confirmed cases identified so far.

14 Likes

So if anyone was looking for a good reason to buy bear spray, there ya go.

2 Likes

Yesterday morning I was mowing the grass with my fancy new electric push mower, and was faced with the necessity of starting up the old riding mower just to move it out of the way to mow around it. Whilst pondering this little irony, my mind turned to the discussion of rehoming it sooner rather than later. (I phrase it that way because my partner is a bit invested in it, due to past circumstances, the ‘service agreement’ we have with the people what sold it to us, and maybe just a touch of good old sunk cost fallacy.)

So even though she and I are in total agreement on all these details, I still found myself running through the various arguments surrounding the huffing of fresh exhaust. (At least it’s a four cycle engine!) And that’s when it hit me… the reasons not to breathe that stuff map over pretty well to our current unpleasantness. The respiratory damage may be the headline feature of each, but they also bring about a host of other problems that are quite varied, and yet seem so similar that I find myself looking around for discarded Morley butts.

5 Likes

“45 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacity — and show zero ICU beds available”

Winning.

15 Likes

That would be somehow encouraging, maybe.

But [unintelligible screaming] they don’t report anything about that study.

For [unintelligible screaming continues] what kind of pseudojournalism is this [unintelligible screaming continues].

That’s as good as saying “Science has found that jam contains fat. 64,000 jam jars were tested for the presence of fatty acids. The study did not reach the goal of 150,000 jam jars.”

And nobody would take “Die Wissenschaft hat festgestellt, festgestellt, festgestellt” seriously. But this we should?

Not directed at you, @FGD135, obviously. But [unintelligible screaming intensifies and ends in small sad sounds].

2 Likes

Well, that’s not encouraging…

15 Likes

I had a conversation recently, and I was getting the “herd immunity” speech, and I just had a moment of extreme impatience and blurted out

“Name one disease we have reached herd immunity to.”

They couldn’t.

I can’t think of one. We do not have “herd immunity” to the “common flu” that covidiots can’t stop talking about. We get sick from it over and over and over again. Pretty much all the big killers were stopped using mass and ring vaccinations, and wouldn’t have been stopped without them, and spring back into existence when we stop vaccinating.

I heard someone cite chicken pox once, but it is still continually present, even with vaccinations. It even kills people.

It was just a moment of confusion, because I hear “herd immunity” constantly, but never has any one of these covidiots given an example of it actually happening.

23 Likes

At least 45 hospitals in Florida have reached ICU capacity and show zero ICU beds available, according to data released by the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA).

Seven of the hospitals at capacity are in Miami-Dade County and five of them are in Broward County, AHCA data shows.

Another 34 hospitals have 10% or less ICU capacity available, according to AHCA.

AHCA reports about 19.6% ICU beds are available across the State of Florida.

11 Likes

It’s a term usually only used for diseases we have a successful vaccine programme for. It’s use in the current sense (lets all get sick and it will go away) I first heard from leaked meetings with Dominic Cummings.

So not from a medical source.

14 Likes

It’s just kind of amazing that the term is being used by millions of people and none of them have asked themselves “when have we ever achieved herd immunity before?” The assumption seems to be that it is how humans have always survived plagues.

8 Likes

Not a doctor, but plagues do “burn themselves out”: if they kill people too quickly (particularly if they have a short incubation and asymptomatic time) they will not last. There are much better ways to suppress viruses though. Like denying them hosts by quarantine/social distance/test and trace etc. The question is which do you want to sacrifice: people, or profits?

12 Likes

But even like, Ebola, a year or two later it is back. It’s never a matter of immunity, herd or otherwise.

3 Likes

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/coronavirus-trump-crimes/

The people responsible for these deaths are monsters. The least we can do is start treating them as such.

And don’t forget their supporters.

15 Likes
15 Likes

I just had the strangest vision of a very orange Canadian sometime in the future demanding that we Americans pay for a wall…

7 Likes

And some I assume are good people…

12 Likes