Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

11 Likes

Ha. Haaaaa.

2 Likes

Doug Ducey: murderer.

15 Likes
14 Likes

Sorry if this is a repost, but goddamn is this ever depressing.

18 Likes

I’m up in Phoenix this week. You’d never know there was a pandemic going on. Seems to be business as usual.

12 Likes

Is it noticeably different than other parts of the state? We’ve done a little camping and scouting around Maine, and there are marked differences between towns/regions.

7 Likes

Couldnt say. But I dont see much difference between Mesa, Phoenix, or Glendale. Tempe seems to be taking minimal measures at least.

13 Likes

I guess its Darwin in action, then. Protect yourself, my friend!

9 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes

I started reading this yesterday and wasn’t sure if I should post it. It is telling and depressing by confirming that the neoliberal / libertarian bullshit idea that the market should and could react to the pandemic combined neatly with “political” retribution brought you to this point.

That said, I had some issues with the article. One example which really doesn’t sit well with me is feeding antisemitic sentiments by even mentioning shabbat. It adds nothing to the story.

I would be more interested in learning more facts about that Kodak Eastman thing. It sounds like they would have been involved involved in producing more than a hydroxchloroquine precursor, but the article does not really tell us what was or is planned.

5 Likes

Hahahahahaha, hell no!

25 Likes

Make sure you spend LOTS of time deciding, like 2 solid weeks. Put a team together, I hear that Kushner kid is pretty sharp.

Eta, didn’t notice the ctv news part. Guess that changes the definition of federal…coffee time to be sure.

4 Likes

In an article that is as unsurprising as it is worrying, the British Medical association lays out the extent to which privatisation and outsourcing has hampered the COVID response in the UK

For a stark indicator of the impact this has had, see if you can spot the parts of the UK which did and didn’t outsource testing to private companies:

11 Likes

Interestingly, the argument in Germany is that privatisation of labs made the response so swift. Just for the record, Germany today reported 1,12 million tests performed within the last week.

5 Likes

The Sweden news is unexpected. However, it seems warranted:

6 Likes

I feel for poor Anders Tegnell: he’s never going to achieve his herd mentality at this rate.

3 Likes

Given how much better they are now doing than much of Europe, I think he’s going to be lionized as a national hero. (Though probably their relative success is due to their having been a travel pariah for so long.)

4 Likes
6 Likes