Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Adding a good dollop of coconut rum, and you have heaven in a glass.

11 Likes

Rum, coke and 16 hours of non-stop Eurovisionā€¦ trying to retrofit wiper blades on a full face mask. Sounds like a Sunday well spent. Might have to invite over a neighbour who has a better set of machine tools.

I was just saying to my wife this morning that Contagion got one thing rightā€¦ the tedious phase of a pandemicā€¦ The surprise has passed, the slog set in, science is going to be incremental, the vaccine a ways away, weā€™ve got a year more of this, and thatā€™s if weā€™re lucky.

Feels like doing my Ph.D. all over againā€¦

8 Likes

A prescription Iā€™m happy to fill.

9 Likes

loudest

22 Likes

Welding instructor thinks masks can catch fire. Probably doing welding wrong too.

17 Likes

ā€œIā€™m not bending a knee to tyranny!ā€

Whatever will he do when REAL tyranny shows up? Join in I expect.

18 Likes

Seen in the wild in New Mexico

And no, it was not a joke. There was a memo above it explaining why management felt it was acceptable

14 Likes

Tyranny isnā€™t really a go-to word in Canada.

8 Likes

I just talked to my brother yesterday about the distribution phase in that movie. The news that multiple wealthy countries are buying up vaccine doses reminded me of those scenes with the doctor in the van and the village:

13 Likes

Not sure about masks, but I am almost positive eyeballs and faces can catch fireā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™ve first thought that he refuses to wear welding mask and this is a parody article :rofl:
Come to think about it, it still would be better than refusing to wear surgical mask - he would only endanger himself and not others.

Iā€™ve caught fire while welding several times, but never anywhere near the face. The welding mask and hood perfectly protects against that.

Not really, at least in typical atmosphere and without accelerant, otherwise I wouldnā€™t have face now.
On the other hand friend managed to somehow burn his face while doing a fire breathing trick (and he should know better, having attended a real circus school).

11 Likes

I wonder at what point it will all turn around, and ā€œstand your groundā€ rules allow using ā€œreasonable forceā€ against nomaskers.

6 Likes

I dunno. Thatā€™s logical, so perhaps not readily applicable to Trumpists.

11 Likes

I want that image on a tea towel.

This issue came up locally at Bath Iron Works in Maine. Opponents to mask mandates at the facility claimed they were worried about sparks falling onto the cloth face coverings and catching fireā€¦I couldnā€™t help but wonder about where those sparks would be landing if they werenā€™t wearing a cloth face covering. Their faces? Iā€™m not a welder, but itā€™s hard to understand the logic of thinking sparks of molten metal landing on my facial skin is better than sparks of molten metal landing on a cloth covering my facial skin. At least the latter would buy me some time?

12 Likes

If I were a welder, Iā€™d be worried about the byproduct fumes of welding. Most of the good welders I know, wear half face repirators with appropriate cartridges. Putting a N95 dust filter over the top of that is easy to do.

14 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/health/cdc-coronavirus-airborne-transmission/index.html

ā€œThere is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants, or in fitness classes),ā€ the page now says. ā€œIn general, indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk.ā€

Why did Trump suddenly remove their muzzle?

15 Likes

Squirrel?

15 Likes

Schools in Poland have reopened at the beginning of September, and now daily case numbers are the largest since beginning of pandemic:

Last year I got sued by the city in some BS right of way case and now I have to appear at trial with 150 other defendants, and Iā€™m seriously afraid.
16 Likes

Heā€™s got a full-face welding mask on in that photo so it seems ridiculous to think heā€™d be putting himself at significant risk of catching on fire by wearing a cloth face mask underneath.

Thatā€™s like refusing to wear socks under your heavy leather boots for fear they might catch fire.

17 Likes

Terrifying thread

20 Likes