Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Ask @d_r

2 Likes

Really, you’re doing that?

If policy (or expert medical recommendations) say to wear a mask out in public, then wear a mask out in public. If it doesn’t, then it is less clear. Is everyone in New Zealand doing it wrong?

Yes. You seem to strongly disagree with her statement.

There is no “policy” in most of the US. Statistically no one is going to dig through the CDC (or other) website and read through pages of guidelines to figure out where and when to wear a mask. That’s the problem.

But if the policy was “perfectly predict whether you’ll be able to maintain 6 feet distancing when you go outside before choosing whether to wear a mask.” I confess I don’t think that’s a good guideline, even if it was written, as I’m sure it was, by people much smarter than me.

Is New Zealand a useful model for the US, or anywhere else with a major outbreak? Better question, “Is Sweden doing it wrong?”

2 Likes

What are the differences between your Covid policies and the UK’s? Any way to explain the difference?

We’re getting a handful of cases every day, and a couple of deaths every week, which honestly seems low to me since they kind-of opened the schools here a couple of weeks ago. We also have the occasional entertaining testing artifact:

3 Likes

@Ratel was talking about trails that are sometimes quite narrow and busy, such that there is no particular difference between them and a crowded sidewalk.

13 Likes

Very important news!

28 Likes

In many places there is, and where there’s not there is still the CDC and WHO guidelines. If those are too hard to work out then rules in some random person’s head are not going to be easier.

I don’t think there’s any ambiguity about social distancing. Some people seem to have trouble socially distancing, and others are violating the requirements intentionally, but that is different from the rules being ambiguous. In the other thread someone suggested that it was easier to get people to wear masks in situations where social distancing was impossible if the requirement was simply to wear the masks all the time, and that makes some sense, I still don’t think that gives anyone the standing to get self-righteous about other people who are not wearing masks while properly socially distancing outside where it is legal.

Is New Zealand a useful model for the US, or anywhere else with a major outbreak?

It seems to be a counterexample to the idea that wearing a mask outside should be a simple universal rule.

Better question, “Is Sweden doing it wrong?”

Sweden’s problems are not from not wearing masks outdoors while socially distanced, or even from not wearing masks outdoors at all.

1 Like

(Coronavirus is definitely showing the truths behind many of our mythologies).

14 Likes
26 Likes

WHO is suspending trails while they review the data so far. Trump will say that they’re being anti-Trump.

10 Likes

Take a wild guess to which state she’s from

17 Likes

Which is another reason I keep my 75yr old mother in. It’s an urban area, all the cars are parked on the streets, paths are narrow and seeing as she can’t move fast enough to avoid people, well…

It’s a shitty choice but I can live with it - better safe than sorry when bad choices get people killed.

20 Likes

We closed a few days earlier. We didn’t stop testing. And we counted the numbers honestly - though of course every country will rereckon their deaths.

Basically we have a right wing government and a denuded healthcare system that couldn’t deliver testing at the rate our policy required. We so failed by focusing on acute care (that wasn’t needed) and let down those in chronic care. We also failed getting PPE. We should have quarantined people

10 Likes

10 Likes

Also…

22 Likes

EY48bjXU4AEbURF

I hope it fucking sinks.

26 Likes

While burning.

17 Likes

tenor

Ooh, maybe that’s why it sinks!

15 Likes