Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

For people that still don’t get what the big deal is:

Converting this to micromort language, an individual living in New York City has experienced roughly 50 additional micromorts of risk per day because of Covid-19. That means you were roughly twice as likely to die as you would have been if you were serving in the U.S. armed forces in Afghanistan throughout 2010, a particularly deadly year.

12 Likes

I know I should probably not jest on this topic, but: I haven’t seen @DEATH around BB BBS for a while. Did THEY put Mort in charge of micromanagement?

9 Likes
11 Likes

A reminder that a few years ago these people were complaining about death panels.

30 Likes

They were never really frightened by the idea that a government-funded healthcare system would make decisions that allowed certain people to die.

The real fear was that a government-funded healthcare system might make decisions that allowed certain people to live.

28 Likes

Nothing reminds me what it’s really like living in Spokane like seeing a “re-open Spokane” billboard on my way to the doctor’s office for a blood draw.

So much for #InlandStrong, I guess. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

38 Likes

There’s a problem that solves itself!!

Apart from the car accidents.
The injured pedestrians.
The financial costs.
The trauma.

This analogy is great!!

22 Likes

Meanwhile, in Kentucky, some very fine people…

17 Likes

I saw that video on Twitter. Kids and families watching a lynching in the local park.

giphy-8

22 Likes

My wife showed that to me. She was visibly shook. I suspect a background check on the gentleman in charge would be… interesting…

23 Likes

Agreed. I followed the Twitter thread for a few scrolls but left in disgust. “Deplorables” doesn’t even come close.

18 Likes

im not convinced that war is the right comparison. plenty of people say ( whether true or not ) they’d happily die for their freedom fries, so the logical jump is they ( and we ) should be happy to die for this.

talking about how preventable this level of death was, and how we could do more to stem the tide if we cared for each other ( instead of “fought coronavirus for each other” ) feels like a better path

maybe a trump death clock in every town would help here in the us

https://trumpdeathclock.com/

10 Likes

If only for learning which particular county he’s the sheriff of.

The story I read said it was lynched effigies, plural.

9 Likes

2nd Amendment Rights “protest” that grew worse.
Total surprise.
No one could have predicted it.
Nothing could have been done.
Etc.
Etc.

CNN had it as a Gun Rights/Evangelicals mix.
I’ve run out of shaking-my-head gifs.

16 Likes

:musical_note: Shit it’s only been sixty years
Since they hung blacks and burned em’
And that was so cool
Day rail passes, picnic baskets
Even gave kids the day off school
To go see a lynchin’
Have a picnic
It’s fun to watch the little monkeys die
Then people act a little dysfunctional
You wanna pretend that you don’t know why :musical_note:

12 Likes

Not a day goes by I don’t consider whether resigning from this species is a viable option. It never is, but the question keeps coming up.

So where does that leave me? Standing and representing, in resistance to opposing forces.

8 Likes

One for @docosc, from a friend who also works/serves in healthcare. :wink:

24 Likes

Yeah, I seek to avoid the eternal calm for as long as possible. Or, to quote the great philosopher Al Jankovic:

18 Likes
17 Likes