Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Google Classroom is set up for teachers and students, not parents, for example. Try to log-in and it asks if you are a student or a teacher? Well I am neither.

Also:

So while we might assume that everything is going smoothly I can tell you absolutely that it isn’t, because even perfect performance with this system is just barely adequate in terms of student and teacher involvement. If your kid is struggling with distance learning it is very possible — very LIKELY — that his teacher doesn’t even know that.

I would add that special needs students are even worse off.

13 Likes

The stupidity is profound, but just look at that tan suit — theres the real crime. And not a peep out of the fake news media either, always focused on the virus. I give up.

23 Likes

My ASD kid is having a banner year. :expressionless:

8 Likes
9 Likes

NSW update:

15 Likes
11 Likes

What no fire?

9 Likes

HahahahahahhahHha!!!

But fire can kill the vírus!

4 Likes

Does he eat Dijon mustard, too?

7 Likes
9 Likes

Because “false positives” land in the hospital all the time, right?

20 Likes
11 Likes

Look, we’re rounding the corner in Idaho… it’s going to disappear… /s

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry|nullxnull

14 Likes

Initially read that as “Brothel Police” and was very confused…

15 Likes

:point_down:t5: :point_down:t5: :point_down:t5: :point_down:t5: :point_down:t5:

15 Likes

11 Likes

My grandma used to live near Bothel in Cumbria, and I always had a double take at the road signs.

14 Likes

So, to review, chanting BLM protesters are such a dire threat to police and the public that the protests have to be declared a riot, and the protesters much be tear gassed, shot, beaten and/or arrested. But other protesters trespassing and actually endangering others are handled with kid gloves.

I wonder what’s the difference?/s

21 Likes

Google Classroom is set up for teachers and students, not parents, for example.

<rant> …and cannot be isolated from other Google services to reduce distractions for easily distracted kids, and suffers from a UI design that appears to be an echo-chamber expression of Google’s genetics in marketing and attention seeking… trying to find an overdue assignment in the infinite scroll “stream” page that is the default? …what’s needed is a clear “here’s what you need to do next” front and centre…

Never mind trying to keep my kids’ personal info in a jurisdiction with real privacy laws.</rant>

I suggested to an educator friend that we need a survey of the top 20 or so teaching styles and to design fully self-contained sites supporting each style in a concise and direct way. She suggested that this would be met with the sort of the enthusiasm usually reserved for visiting benevolent deity.

Sadly… funding… (that, and my UI’s usually end up looking like pre-school versions of microwave oven control panels)

Microsoft-based “BrightSpace” isn’t a lot better.

Borderline off-topic, but COVID is imposing this mass experiment on us. Hopefully the results so far should at least immunize the people of the Province of Ontario against further brain-dead assertions by our poli-sci grad turned head educator that multi-media on-line learning is the wave of the future… :thinking: :persevere:

6 Likes