Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

15 Likes

Reading this made me wonder if Iā€™m just mistrustful by nature, or did growing up during the HIV/AIDS era and watching The X-Files change me? People might think they know someone at work, but do they know everyone that person hangs out with?

15 Likes

They kinda think they do (but this is not on a conscious level, maybe I should say they feel they do). Because they donā€™t think this through.

Anecdotal evidence: my department. Currently 1 colleague tested positive, 5 colleagues in quarantine. Guess who had a little cosy Kaffeeklatsch the other week?

15 Likes

I just run into too damn many people who are convinced they havenā€™t got it. ā€œI was tested last Monday!ā€ ā€œThat was ten days ago dammit.ā€

14 Likes

I see it a bit of that in myself. I only regularly interact with two people that I didnā€™t wake up with. One of them I have zero difficulty treating as a shambling hypervector 100% of the time, no protocols required, and with absolutely no intellectual effort past the R-complex.

The other I am friends with, and even though I donā€™t trust her opsec all that much (and her spouseā€™s oh so much less), I find that it requires much more conscious effort to treat her as potentially dangerous. Fortunately sheā€™s almost a foot shorter than me, so that probably mitigates my risk somewhatā€¦ I meant that last bit in jest, but ZOMGs, there probably is some truth to that, and Iā€™m freshly horrified once more.

I am [ahem]famous for giving people the benefit of the doubt. Iā€™m cynical and skeptical in just about all the ways, and am almost certainly in the lowest couple percentile of gullibility. But that fucking empathy does tend to betray me a bit too often for my tastes. All that to say, I am absolutely sure I am not inherently mistrustful on an interpersonal level, and yet I have come to treat every meatspace interaction as if I were at an orgy: sure I might really wanna hang out with yā€™all in a closer, more intimate way, but all the nope. Because biology cares not even a little bit about intent.

11 Likes
13 Likes
18 Likes

Bolsonaro: ā€˜Isnā€™t it cheaper to invest in a cure than in a vaccine?ā€™

4 Likes

Of course, Maduro is exactly as trustworthy as Trump, soā€¦

11 Likes

The last time I got tested it took 10 days to get the results back. So thatā€™s the best Iā€™ve ever been able to say.

4 Likes

If they are willing to hang out with me, who else are they willing to hang out with?

8 Likes

Well, fuck.
ETA Iā€™ve only gotten a few Amber and severe weather alerts before, plus that ridiculous ā€œpresidentialā€ one I gather everyone got.

20 Likes

Filled with sympathy.

24 Likes

Thoughts and prayersā€¦

24 Likes

Anybody who can catch Maddowā€™s take on the Covid spike should. Terrifying.

9 Likes

this could be good news for the election. if memory serves it was fox who first called florida for bush, and it was thatdeliberate ( in my opinion )miscall that allowed the supreme court to rule in favor of shrub

10 Likes

amber-ruffin-what-confused

17 Likes

Hā‚‚SOā‚„. Some complications concerning delivery mechanisms are arising.

12 Likes

Lucifer gif incomingā€¦

7 Likes

These. Dog. Damned. Fucking. People. Somebody make it stop. :cry:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGiMljkBUu9/?igshid=15dg6hpn0c3k7

21 Likes