Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

“Immunity is waning quite rapidly, we’re only three months after our first [round of tests] and we’re already showing a 26% decline in antibodies,” said Prof Helen Ward, one of the researchers.

The fall was greater in those over 65, compared with younger age groups, and in those without symptoms compared with those with full-blown Covid-19.

The number of healthcare workers with antibodies remained relatively high, which the researchers suggest may be due to regular exposure to the virus.

There are four other human coronaviruses, which we catch multiple times in our lives. They cause common cold symptoms and we can be reinfected every six to 12 months.

There have been very few confirmed cases of people getting Covid twice . However, the researchers warn this may be due to immunity only just starting to fade since the peak infection rates of March and April.

The hope is the second infection will be milder than the first, even if immunity does decline, as the body should have an “immune memory” of the first encounter and know how to fight back.

Professor Paul Elliott, director of the REACT-2 study, said it would be wrong to draw firm conclusions from the study about the impact of a vaccine.

He said: “The vaccine response may behave differently to the response to natural infection.”

16 Likes

And hope that the body’s “immune memory” doesn’t more easily trigger a cytokine storm.

WDKS. sigh

18 Likes

Yup. Truer and truer every day, but maybe we are getting to where we know the questions to ask? That is the real first step.

16 Likes

@Ratel Covid: Antibodies ‘fall rapidly after infection’

Wouldn’t it be grimly ironic if the disease portrayed in Contagion ended up looking mercifully decisive compared to COVID-19.

I suspect travel restrictions will be with us for a while…

7 Likes

Uhhhhh… a vaccine is a preventative medicine, and preventative medicine is the best kind of cure.

Also, there are lots of molecules that can inhibit the virus. For example, anything that kills the host will stop the cellular machinery the virus needs to hijack in order to reproduce. The hard part is selectively inhibiting the virus without killing or severely harming the host.

Since the profit motive for an effective covid treatment is extremely high, the biopharma companies of the world are maxing out their efforts to find treatments. Given this vast disparity in expertise and resource allocation, the chances of scientists in VZ coming up with something better is somewhere between slim and none. Dude needs to show his receipts or STFU.

7 Likes

When confronted with these findings, Atlas shrugged.

3 Likes

Ugh…been waiting for that one to drop…

The writers of this show suck.

7 Likes

Haven’t seen anything recently about cytokine storms or the alternative theory I saw posted about a while back, which at least seemed to better explain some of Covid-19’s symptoms.

Ah, here it is:

I’m not finding much since, save other reporting on the same study.

3 Likes

Jeebus. Stay fucking classy, Florda-da! fucking idiots, I swear.

Chris Nelson, organizer of the rally said. "If they can tell me that I cannot buy or sell anything without a mask on, they can tell me that I can’t buy or sell without proof of a vaccine, that I took a vaccine, and it could go on and on.”
here’s an idea, Chris: wear the fucking mask. end of story.
17 Likes

If someone told them wearing a mask would protect you from Islam they’d be breaking down my door waving around their Call of Duty branded AR-15 replicas demanding that I wear one.

18 Likes

Better yet, Chris! Your surgeon likes the idea so much, she’s not going to wear a mask for your knee surgery. Oh, sure, when you get sepsis you’ll be upset, but, hey, it’s just like a flu.

15 Likes

You people can’t tell me to put brakes on my car or not to drink or sell methanol.

8 Likes
14 Likes
13 Likes

Looks like the 80s.

7 Likes

Onward towards the Past.

10 Likes

I wonder if it will be relatively as bad in Ireland? The long recession after the credit crash lasted, in most people’s lived experience if not the major economic indicators, until a couple of years ago.

I can’t.face that again

10 Likes

Many people here in Brazil are saying that the effects of the pandemic will launch the country and the continent to a stage similar to that of the 1980s, the so-called lost decade.

edited to add a link:

Pandemic could lead to worst decade of growth in history
Research released by FGV says that pandemic will pass, but will leave behind economy with new fiscal crisis and low productivity

The historic recession from 2014 to 2016 - slightly less than from 1981 to 1983 - was followed by a historically slow recovery. This would already guarantee to the decade ending this year an economic growth below the 1980s, which, with an annual high of 1.6%, ended up nicknamed the “lost decade” - according to the historical series of Ipea, and before we know the performance in 2020, the 1980s contain the two worst years of performance in annual GDP, with a decrease of 4.25% in 1981 and a fall of 4.35% in 1990.

8 Likes

Well, just so you know. The WH has declared “amidst its accomplishments” the Pandemic is OVER !!

20 Likes
4 Likes