Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Not technically different from a White House briefing, I suppose, but then I don’t approve of those either.

3 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/facts-are-facts

Facts Are Facts

By Josh Marshall

October 27, 2020 4:33 p.m.

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine looked at the current COVID outbreak in Tennessee and broke the hospitalization numbers down by the counties patients were coming from and whether those counties had masking mandates. The results are stark. The growth in hospitalizations is greatest in counties without masking requirements. Indeed, the inverse relationship between masking and hospitalization lines up across the spectrum from areas with little masking to those where mandates are widespread. You can see the discussion of the study here.

But this chart tells the story pretty clearly.

Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) is editor and publisher of TPM.

13 Likes
17 Likes

What the actual fuck?

I don’t understand what the fuck is wrong with some people.

27 Likes

More anti-maskers targeting some of the most vulnerable people in our society – immigrants working on the front line – by using false information in order to provoke fear.

I can’t decide which I hate more, their blatant disregard for anyone else’s health or the veiled racism of terrorizing immigrant workers with blatant misinformation.
So far, it’s the latter for me.

If anyone can identify this establishment in Mission Viejo (?), I’d appreciate it so I can send them a tip.
ETA: Frapys Yogurt, Mission Viejo.

14 Likes

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/the-airlines-insist-flying-is-safe-but-nearly-100-us-air-marshals-have-been-infected-with-covid-19-192022228.html?guccounter=1

The airlines insist flying is safe. But nearly 100 U.S. air marshals have been infected with COVID-19.

18 Likes

But have they been going to Trump rallies?

18 Likes

Just like everything else he has done, if you go to one of his “rallies”, you get left out in the cold.

14 Likes

I’m considering making that a keyboard shortcut.

18 Likes

Priorities…

24 Likes

“What? No, I will be fine. Only the weak need to worry. And the uninsured. And the poor. But not me!” – Mike Pence, probably.

19 Likes

29 Likes

Wow. I did not even know viruses had genders! TIL!
Seriously, what kind of low key misogyny is this shit?

15 Likes

As a romance language, every Italian word does have a gender, which is weird but in isolation not immediately misogynist. Of course, how words are given genders very probably is. I think French has a similar problem, IIRC.

17 Likes

Jared Kushner bragged in April that Trump was taking the country ‘back from the doctors’

How’s that working out for ya?

Fucking gangly, idiot, marionette boy.

21 Likes

La Belle Dame Sans Merci

9 Likes

This month, 11 states reported their highest single day of new deaths since the pandemic began. And though researchers are racing toward a vaccine, it will be months before one is expected to be widely available, and health experts have cautioned that the public needs to take the virus seriously in the meantime.

“If we continue our current behavior, by the time we start to go down the other side of the curve, a half a million people will be dead,” CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner said Tuesday.

14 Likes

Without seeing the original quote in Italian (or Latin, or Spanish or whatever language the original quote was in!) I suppose that is a reasonable take. I honestly do not know if “virus” is feminine in Italian or not, or if he specifically referred to “this lady” named covid. In Spanish it would be “el virus,” masculine. I speak no Italian, so Ieave that to others.

14 Likes

Really taking that message of Jesus to heart, isn’t he?

14 Likes

The Pope is on a language roll.

15 Likes