Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

It’s reassuring that during the worst global health crisis in our lifetimes the brexiteers can be relied upon to fuck us over yet again. Taking back control! Our own laws, our own borders, our own deaths…

7 Likes

And we’ve reached “run out of space to hide the bodies.”

7 Likes

home remedy videos on youtube in 3 … 2 …

5 Likes

Zombie Lies

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/back-to-herd-immunity-hocum

I’m still steamed about that pediatrics society statement.

Eschaton

Friday, July 10, 2020

The Schools

You can’t do it, my friends.

I love the public schools my kids attend, but I also know they can’t handle a lice outbreak on a good day and are not equipped to handle COVID on a bad one. School principals and superintendents are not epidemiologists or virologists and can’t possibly be expected to make plans like they are. So who should be making decisions? To start, the CDC. So, when the vice president of the United States says, as he did this week, that “we don’t want the guidance from the CDC to be the reason schools don’t open up,” what he’s really saying is that the government is abandoning children, parents, and all the people who work in schools.

Atrios at 13:00

13 Likes

Roddick visibly grew up at some point (something that hasn’t yet happened with Djokovic…or John McEnroe, for that matter).

4 Likes

The Norwegian results were like the Finnish ones. The health authorities had recommended that schools stay open when when the country shut down, the theory being that student contacts could be better controlled in a school environment. However, the political leadership insisted on closing the schools as well. When they did reopen, the safety protocols were pretty good, including lots of testing, cleaning classrooms several times/day, and putting whole classes (including teachers) into quarantine when a single student showed symptoms.

I think we need to be careful to avoid falling into the trap of applauding measures from successful country X when the measures conforms to our preconception of what should work, and questioning measures from successful country Y when they are counterintuitive.

4 Likes

Wow, when you’ve lost “I don’t meet with Black Presidents” Brewer…

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2020/07/10/brewer-trolls-duceys-coronavirus-response-with-half-measures-tweet

Of course, given the example, god only knows what measures she’s advocating…

2 Likes

18 Likes

“Push on, brave York volunteers.”
– Major General Isaac Brock, 1812

7 Likes

correct. the report i was responding to only looked at the effects on children of keeping school open. that’s an important aspect but it is hardly the only aspect.

please don’t let your own preconceived notions of what should or should not be working without actually having, referencing some a complete picture of the facts

2 Likes

Believe me, as someone who is currently scheduled to teach face-to-face in a small classroom in 2 months, and whose age and comorbidities put me squarely in the death zone, I am paying very close attention to as much of the science about this as I can get my hands on.

8 Likes

I will be interested to see if this affects the “kids are low risk of contagion” chant we seem to be hearing, but we are currently dealing with a cluster, at least, in a daycare center here. So far, no staff (there will be) but only kids. The usual low to no symptoms, but contagious? Certainly seems to be.

15 Likes

10 Likes

Hold my beer.

<sigh>

Date Cases
July 4 2,695 new cases
July 5 3,536 new cases
July 6 3,352 new cases
July 7 3,653 new cases
July 8 3,520 new cases
July 9 4,057 new cases
July 10 4,221 new cases

Ohio population 11.73 million
Arizona population 7.29 million

15 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/not-just-die-or-survive

Full Article

By Josh Marshall

July 10, 2020 4:40 p.m.

Most of us know that with COVID and many other diseases there is seldom a clear binary division between died and went back to life as though nothing had ever happened post-recovery. One of the things that has increasingly driven my news interest and personal concern are the many studies showing how many people who survive critical or severe cases of COVID face permanent disability or organ damage or other lifelong diminutions of health and quality of life. There are also many people who have mild or moderate cases of COVID, now dubbed “longhaulers”, who get the disease but don’t clearly get better. Weeks or months later they’re still experiencing many symptoms or new symptoms or a changing parade of new and old. Doctors don’t seem clear whether these are lengthy recovers or permanent damage. You’ve probably seen the number of studies that show a limited but still non-trivial number of patients who suffer various neurological symptoms or what could well be permanent brain damage.

All of these troubling data-points add up to the conclusion that the cost of this disease is not limited to the tally of people who are dying. There are perhaps as many more who suffer permanent and serious effects of the disease.

One of the unknowns is that we simply don’t know how much of this is permanent. One of the main dimensions of COVID illness is an out of control inflammation response which is trigger by the disease by perhaps not the disease in a very technical sense. It’s that inflammation response that kills a lot of people. It also seems to be a continue cycle of inflammation triggered by the disease that causes permanent damage or longtail continuing symptoms.

I got focused on this today when I head from longtime reader TPM Reader JB , who is a clinician at an academic medical center. He forward me this JAMA study in Italy. You can see the details here. But the gist is that talked to 143 patients who had been hospitalized for and survived COVID. Only 5% had been on a ventilator. So this wasn’t just people who had been on the edge of death. The mean hospitalization had been about two weeks. They were interviewed 60 days after the onset of symptoms. Only 12.6% reported being symptom free. A worsened quality of life was observed among 44.1% of the group. The most common symptoms were fatigue and labored breathing. There are many instances of people with what appears to be permanent organ damage from COVID, persistent neurological or psychiatric impacts. One day you’re healthy and the next you have a permanently compromised heart or kidneys. It’s not great.

If you’re staying up on COVID news you probably don’t need me to tell you this. Certainly you don’t if you have loved ones who are affected. But even at roughly 130,000 Americans having died of this disease much of the public discussion is significantly understating the full impact of the disease either nationally or individually.

Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) is editor and publisher of TPM.

10 Likes

It could be scaled up. If the Fab of the relevant antibody can be sequenced, then you could create a plasmid to program some bug to produce a lot of it. Still, protein pharmaceuticals are expensive, and you don’t want to give them out willy-nilly - antibodies in particular have a way of eliciting bad reactions in a lot of patients. It would always be a therapeutic option, not a prophylactic.

Moreover, advanced COVID-19 appears to be mediated in part by an autoimmune reaction, or at least a cytokine storm. In advanced cases, xenoantibodies to the pathogen are likely to make matters worse, not better.

To make matters still worse, there’s at least some weak evidence that SARS-CoV-2 can replicate inside macrophages through a process called antibody-dependent enhancement. If a sub-neutralizing quantity of antibody attaches to the spike protein, the virus presenting the antibody can be endocytosed and subsequently replicate, again making matters worse.

There’s also weak evidence that humoral antibodies are relatively ineffective in COVID-19, and most effective immunity comes from the activation of cytotoxic CD8+ T cells. If so, this is good news for the possibility of an eventual vaccine, but may mean that antibody testing by serology won’t tell us much.

5 Likes

As always, it’s not as simple as it seems.

12 Likes

For Trump’s family, friends, and generous contributors who have a money stake in hydroxychloroquine… and (still without evidence) be able to claim that the WH does indeed care about our health.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/touting-criticized-study-white-house-presses-fda-to-authorize-hydroxychloroquine-again/ar-BB16AAiK?ocid=msedgdhp

5 Likes
14 Likes
15 Likes