Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

A pint? When my supply reaches that level, I get worried.
Ok, I might have a problem with :ice_cream::grimacing:

15 Likes

Well fuck.

13 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

For the first time in over a hundred years, Carnaval was canceled across the country. The last time was in another pandemic. The streets are silent, we don’t see anyone partying. This is very serious, as this is the biggest popular party in the country and one of the biggest attractions for tourists. The estimated loss amounts to billions of Reais (our currency).

Even with the increase in the number of deaths, some people insist on organizing clandestine parties. The authorities are doing a lot of work to curb these prohibited agglomerations.

20 Likes

Is the use of these fitness gadgets widespread in your country as the pervasive smartphones? If these contraptions are used a lot, the sample data will be quite consistent.

5 Likes

Saw this, unclear on the newsworthiness (I mean, not for this thread, but rather the reporter/editor’s decision and framing).

The cases are either mild or asymptomatic.

As expected? I mean it would be unexpected if only four people tested positive, in fact best case scenario we expect about 5% of people to develop symptoms, so unless Oregon has only vaccinated 40 people…

Headlines like this (also, “Woman Drops Dead After Being Vaccinated!!!111oneone”) feel really irresponsible to me, although just a continuation of the standard practice of “Write the headline for conservatives, write the body for liberals.”

9 Likes
7 Likes

I think the problem there is that they are going to skew your metrics towards wealthier people. Even smartphone apps have potential issues in what smartphones they’re compatible with, the likelihood of a certain demographic installing a non-standard app, etc.

6 Likes

Short answer: Nope. Generally speaking, few people have those, and those who do are usually young or youngish, and not wearing them 24/7.

Owners also aren’t particularly rich, @Ratel. Not exactly poor, either.

5 Likes

“160,000 Oregonians have received their second dose of the shot”

7 Likes

OK :earth_americas: ? Watching? This is how it’s done…

They identified 3 cases in South Auckland… not 3 per day… 3…

18 Likes
7 Likes

So we would expect a maximum of about 8,000 of those to become symptomatic, should all vaccinated people be exposed.

There might be a story on how few people have expressed symptoms, but the earliness in the vaccine rollout, the hopefully continuing extreme lockdown measures, and the gaps between second round vaccination taking effect and from infection to expression make me think we’re at least a month from possibly having interesting or meaningful metrics.

4 Likes

We’re down to “high” lockdown again, from “extreme,” so it’ll be like last summer I guess

(but not until the snow melts—a few inches on the ground and it’s like The Quiet Earth around here)

5 Likes

And they’ve been able to live like normal for the past 6 months!…I can hardly even remember what normal felt like.

12 Likes

Community Immunity 1: Let’s All Get the Vaccine feat. Darryl DMC McDaniels

14 Likes

These teachers in New Jersey are not putting up with this crap anymore

24 Likes

What a beautiful response! It’s hilarious to me that the people in the photos think they were “targeted” for speaking out against the school policies, instead of recognizing that they are the only idiots out there blatantly flouting the CDC guidelines and posting the group photos to the Fbook while also haranguing the schools to open. The self-awareness is shallow, but the victimhood is oh so deep.

15 Likes

Eschaton

Monday, February 15, 2021

Every Day A New Normal

Back in the summer, during the second Covid spike, 1000 deaths per day was almost an unfathomable tragedy, and it’s been at 3000+ for over a month now…

No point other than the obvious. There is a moment when something seems like an emergency, and then that feeling fades.

True about the economy, also, especially as long as everything is good with the stocks.

Atrios at 10:30

13 Likes