Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 2)

Get ready to have to get a new vaccination card that have a watermark and a holofoil to fight counterfeits

7 Likes

Oh my.

Even Symbolpolitik seems to much to ask for.

Germany rejects US push to waive COVID vaccine patents

10 Likes

Capitalism will kill us all.

15 Likes

I understand that the folks in Japan (and athletes everywhere, probably) are reluctant to postpone the Olympics again, but man, these numbers don’t look good. The decision to postpone was made on March 24 of last year, at a time when they were averaging 46 new cases per day. Today they’re averaging 5318 new cases per day, and as of now they’re still planning to proceed with the games this summer.

7 Likes

Great. So there’s no reason for IP on government funded medicines to be continued then as it has no effect on big pharma’s bottom line.

They get to be the good guys at no cost.

3 Likes

Health authorities in Rio de Janeiro identify a new variant of coronavirus circulating in the state. The P.1 strain, predominant in the third wave of the disease, seems to have developed changes, according to the State Health Department; epidemiological impact will be assessed.

8 Likes
4 Likes

True.

Just FTR: The official statement also includes that a waiver would not change anything. And while this is likely true (see above), the fact remains that this is giving the finger instead of doing a PR stunt.

I’m not in favour of PR stunts. At all. But this could also have been a starting point for something. They tried to kill it in the cradle with this statement.

However, I am holding my breath for a moment, because this could actually still turn out to be a moment more people realise that capitalism kills (in case of most Germans: other people, usually).

The pharmabros might see it differently. Like: we have everything to loose, and this doesn’t even do any good. Or like: if we start with this, there will be no end to it, and we will have no business at all, and cannot help anyone anymore. Or like: whatever we do, we loose - if we waive IP and the vaccines don’t flow, we will be the bad guys for everyone, but if we don’t we’ll defend the status quo and stay the bad guys for some.

Either way, it is a bit of a mess. And the bottom line is: the US gets served it’s doses. The UK gets theirs. The EU, ok, they start getting theirs. The rest of the world? Well, give or take two years

and some million cases later
 How many deaths? Oh, most countries with a lower living standard have younger populations, that will do, it won’t be THAT bad, then

This is a tangent, but Mindysan is nearly right, I would say. Capitalism will kill all but many of the rich of us.
Just wait for some decades, and see what happens with the global biodiversity crisis and the climate crisis.

7 Likes
7 Likes

24 Likes

https://www.thelocal.se/20210506/sweden-passes-one-million-coronavirus-cases/

7 Likes

or anybody running a cash register, one would think

1 Like
8 Likes

Biden and the dems on the Hill need to keep this up. Make kissing up to covidiots as painful as possible.

15 Likes

Finland has the EU’s second-highest cumulative uptake of at least one coronavirus vaccine dose, but Covid-19 vaccine tourism is still drawing some people to Russia.

Many Finns have travelled across the Russian border to get the Sputnik V vaccine, writes Ilta-Sanomat.

Thirty-five year old Sanna Aaltonen said the Russian Embassy swiftly granted her permission to travel to Moscow for the jab.

Aaltonen, who has received both doses of the Sputnik vaccine, said the Russian clinic encouraged her to capture the vaccination process on video.

She said that while the vaccine was free, other fees for both shots totalled 108 euros.

Health authorities in Finland are aware of Finns making vaccine trips to Russia.

“We know people are going across the border to get vaccinated,” Mia Kontio of THL told IS.

9 Likes
10 Likes

But I thought the plague ships always stopped at plague town /s

4 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

“My foot was itchy, so I shot it and now i’m wondering why it hurts so much?”

11 Likes