Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

completely unexpected I’m sure.

3 Likes

Original vídeo:

15 Likes

@knoxblox - that Houston hospital you posted about…looks like they fucked around and found out:

I like this quote from a medical ethics professor at the end:

”Health care workers have three special ethical responsibilities,” Dr. Caplan said. “One is protect the vulnerable, people who are really at risk of a disease. Secondly, put patient interests for first. It doesn’t say, ‘put your choice first.’ Third, they’re supposed to do no harm.”

Dr. Caplan also condemned a comparison by the lead plaintiff in the Houston case, Ms. Bridges, between hospital workers and Nazi concentration camp prisoners.

He suggested that the hospital employees who refused to get vaccinated would be better off in a different line of work.

“It’s like you’re in the wrong job there, buddy,” he said.

28 Likes

Exactly, couldn’t put it better myself. If you have no trust in science and medicine, probably working in medicine is a poor choice.

24 Likes

As always, it’s not so much about you, it’s about the effect on your community. Which, for a distressing number of people, means it is utterly ignorable.

17 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/oxford-university-explores-anti-parasitic-drug-ivermectin-covid-19-treatment-2021-06-22/

5 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF

9 Likes

6 Likes

Physician, heal thyself. Literally. Don’t seek help, you will be punished. Where I work, there is a mental health resource open to us, but most of us avoid it like the plague due to worries over this exact kind of fallout. We are supposed to be immune to stress and depression and, well, anything. If we are not, it is a sign of weakness and unsuitability for the profession. And as a consequence, providers are leaving the profession in droves. There was already a physician shortage in this country. Now it is worse.

ETA: Cory Feist, quoted in the article, is the one of the higher ups in my own organization. FYI.

21 Likes

I had no idea this asshat was still among the living, let alone still involved with “churches.” Although grifting off his flock is right up his alley, so there is that bit of consistency at least.

16 Likes

Meanwhile, the pharmacy chain, where I got my first shot, had some at a place 15 minutes away, but no way to make a reservation. I gather that I’d have to camp their page, and when some arrive nearby, jump in the car and get there before the excitable crowded rush. Fuck that.

I have software keeping an eye on the York Region mass-vaxx place nearby where I can book an appointment if one opens up.

13 Likes

Medical boards in 37 US states and territories ask some type of question that could require a doctor to disclose mental health conditions or treatment

I wonder, given the comparatively high prevalence of ADHD diagnoses in the US population and the affinity of people with ADHD to jobs with certain characteristics, some of which are very much fulfilled in the medical sector…

Also, while I of course acknowledge that the idea of trying to reduce patients risks by choosing people who are “mentally stable” (whatever that is), the very idea is backfiring if people are working under conditions which break them.

And given the additional stressors in an already stressful job during the pandemic, this isn’t just backfiring. This is a recipe for disaster.

10 Likes

A disaster which is currently breaking our system as providers leave (retire, change fields or dead) and are not replaced. This will echo for a very long time in the US medical arena.

18 Likes

Same is happening in Europe, I think. In Germany, the #pflexit is trending every now and then on social media. The portmanteau is based on Pflege (Care), and you catch the drift. The whole system was overworked, understaffed, and underpaid, and the pandemic didn’t make this line of work more attractive.

With doctors, IDK. Given the general social inflexibility of Germanophones and the investments everyone who holds a medical degree made, I doubt we’ll see a higher percentage change professions. But still, there is another problem Germany, Austria and Switzerland must address: our population is aging. We have more need for both medical and care works by the year.

Switzerland buys itself medical and care staff from the neighborhood, and further abroad. Austria? IDK, my contacts from such professions there nowadays work in Basel, Berne, Zürich. (Not kidding!) Germany? Well, we try to compete with Switzerland on some levels, but mainly in the care sector.

Anyway, this is derailing the original subject. Fact remains: the pandemic messed with the medical system, and there’s clearly a subject for political intervention at hand. Otherwise, we’re as fucked as, sorry to say, the US.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Animated GIF

17 Likes
3 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes