Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

19 Likes

477 from the special agent division that protects the president, rather than the larger organization that deals with counterfeiting etc.

10 Likes

That’s a huge amount for any one organization.

11 Likes

These trends reveal two distinct patterns, and one is happening at the expense of the other. The trends of vaccine hesitancy and refusal in the U.S. are a sign of extreme privilege.

20 Likes

As the demand for vaccines surge, the health authorities of city of SĂŁo Paulo say they had to use all the stock reserved for the second dose. No more vaccines for the people today. The state authorities claimed they will send them more doses as soon as possible.

This situation also happened in four more capitals, that had to halt the vaccination as they ran out of doses.

The vaccine rollout is very unequal in Brazil. Some cities like SĂąo LuĂ­s, capital of the
state of MaranhĂŁo, is already vaccinating people over 18 years old, others like Belo Horizonte, capital of Minas Gerais, is struggling to give the first shots to people over 50 years old.

14 Likes

Do other countries have whole industries devoted to paranoid contrarian propaganda?

Does having the strongest free speech protections mean having the worst disinformation?

4 Likes
11 Likes
14 Likes

completely unexpected I’m sure.

3 Likes

Original vĂ­deo:

15 Likes

@knoxblox - that Houston hospital you posted about
looks like they fucked around and found out:

I like this quote from a medical ethics professor at the end:

”Health care workers have three special ethical responsibilities,” Dr. Caplan said. “One is protect the vulnerable, people who are really at risk of a disease. Secondly, put patient interests for first. It doesn’t say, ‘put your choice first.’ Third, they’re supposed to do no harm.”

Dr. Caplan also condemned a comparison by the lead plaintiff in the Houston case, Ms. Bridges, between hospital workers and Nazi concentration camp prisoners.

He suggested that the hospital employees who refused to get vaccinated would be better off in a different line of work.

“It’s like you’re in the wrong job there, buddy,” he said.

28 Likes

Exactly, couldn’t put it better myself. If you have no trust in science and medicine, probably working in medicine is a poor choice.

24 Likes

As always, it’s not so much about you, it’s about the effect on your community. Which, for a distressing number of people, means it is utterly ignorable.

17 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/oxford-university-explores-anti-parasitic-drug-ivermectin-covid-19-treatment-2021-06-22/

5 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF

9 Likes

6 Likes

Physician, heal thyself. Literally. Don’t seek help, you will be punished. Where I work, there is a mental health resource open to us, but most of us avoid it like the plague due to worries over this exact kind of fallout. We are supposed to be immune to stress and depression and, well, anything. If we are not, it is a sign of weakness and unsuitability for the profession. And as a consequence, providers are leaving the profession in droves. There was already a physician shortage in this country. Now it is worse.

ETA: Cory Feist, quoted in the article, is the one of the higher ups in my own organization. FYI.

21 Likes

I had no idea this asshat was still among the living, let alone still involved with “churches.” Although grifting off his flock is right up his alley, so there is that bit of consistency at least.

16 Likes

Meanwhile, the pharmacy chain, where I got my first shot, had some at a place 15 minutes away, but no way to make a reservation. I gather that I’d have to camp their page, and when some arrive nearby, jump in the car and get there before the excitable crowded rush. Fuck that.

I have software keeping an eye on the York Region mass-vaxx place nearby where I can book an appointment if one opens up.

13 Likes

Medical boards in 37 US states and territories ask some type of question that could require a doctor to disclose mental health conditions or treatment

I wonder, given the comparatively high prevalence of ADHD diagnoses in the US population and the affinity of people with ADHD to jobs with certain characteristics, some of which are very much fulfilled in the medical sector

Also, while I of course acknowledge that the idea of trying to reduce patients risks by choosing people who are “mentally stable” (whatever that is), the very idea is backfiring if people are working under conditions which break them.

And given the additional stressors in an already stressful job during the pandemic, this isn’t just backfiring. This is a recipe for disaster.

10 Likes