Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

I keep waiting for the Pfizer EUA to be extended to under 12s before school starts, but that seems to have ground to a halt since the (rare) heart inflammation issue hit the news. Kiddo turns 12 in late fall, and these next 4 months are going to be long ones.

16 Likes

I hope their school has put plans in place to accommodate kids who want to wear masks and maintain distance. It might be worth checking.

Even with the vaccine, my son plans to mask up indoors at school.

17 Likes

Schools here (northern part of Alabama) are allowing masks, not requiring them. Distancing measures are over, back to normal classroom density. And Alabama now has the lowest vaccination rate in the country - Mississippi just passed us, barely. Going to be a long fall and winter here in the land of willful stupidity.

17 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. As a parent, that’s a lot of anxiety heaped on top of the baseline anxiety of parenting.

14 Likes

I’m sorry… stay safe from your Eastern neighbor.

11 Likes

It’s even worse than it sounds.

Edit: didn’t notice there’s already a bbs topic:

10 Likes

Ars has a pretty good take down on this, and as usual with this community, the comment section is actually worth reading.

17 Likes
14 Likes

You could make a lot of money betting that DeSantis will be wrong whenever he opens his mouth, but I doubt any sane bookie would take that line.

8 Likes

Good for him! Here I am proud of a kid I don’t even know

Our kid is still in preschool and her school continues to require masks for the teachers. I’m glad she’ll be there for another year. Because of our murderous governor, Texas public schools can no longer require masks.

Yeah. I want my kid vaccinated ASAP. We tried to enroll in a local trial, but didn’t get in.

15 Likes

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/562919-desantis-selling-dont-fauci-my-florida-koozies?amp&fbclid=IwAR1dY7Q4T72wi8OuAIsXpp8dDbITrAUAdaXoBUZ0JVRWkypJsIioijk0gX4

There have been more than 2.4 million coronavirus cases reported in Florida, with more than 38,000 deaths.

9 Likes

Five percent. Five percent of all visitors to an OPEN AIR music festival.

Well, shit. Also:

Sea Creature Running GIF

18 Likes

Give Jojo Fletcher GIF by CNBC Prime

12 Likes

A little humor for the timeline:

25 Likes

It’s not that hard to get people to get the vaccine.

14 Likes

But my freedums!

And on Bastille day!!!

12 Likes

Considering the lyrics of La Marseillaise and the background of the holiday, I guess the citizens knew Macron wasn’t messing around. :grimacing:

14 Likes

Those French people also have these weird concepts, “egalite” and “fraternite”, whatever they are.

8 Likes

This is just perfect

Amidst a mental health crisis brought on by the pandemic, we are closing psychiatric beds due to inability to staff them. I am beyond furious, but I also fully understand that if you treat staff like shit, and underpay them, a situation made much worse by the pandemic, they will leave. Nurses always have options as far as employment, and this was handled very badly. We are so fricking screwed.
Also, keep in mind, this is the tip of the iceberg. Primary care is also tanking as far as staffing goes, hospitals are struggling to find staff, and being treated like “enemy agents” by a certain segment of the population adds an unacceptable level of stress to an already fraught situation. Absolutely predictable, and has been predicted, but seeing it play out is painful, man.

22 Likes

Yes, finally

We are finally sort-of mandatory here. You can get vaccinated or have weekly covid tests. I guess that was the consolation to the “mah free-dumbs” crowd. Not entirely happy with that, but I guess it’s pretty good.

23 Likes