Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Today I came to work to find my official UVA mailbox full of vaccine misinformation and conspiracy theories being posted by people who are quitting their jobs rather than get the vaccine or subject themselves to weekly testing. Not a good way to start the day.

33 Likes

ETA: probably a bad study

8 Likes

Is that not what they’re going for? I can’t even tell anymore with these people.

1 Like
6 Likes

Worth it to get the phrase “ramming season”

6 Likes

I don’t know what more we can do…

In an interview Tuesday, Anchorage Mayor Dave Bronson said he will not ask residents to get vaccinated, issue a mask mandate or order other COVID-19 restrictions

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

20 Likes

Ohhh boy! The trumper deep state is going to love this.

Oh and gov contractors too.

22 Likes

Snopes already on it.

9 Likes

In other news, Nebraska “Cougher Karen” was ID’ed and apparently fired from her job when video of her harassing mother/daughter in a Lincoln Super Saver went viral on Reddit. She violated local mask mandate, confronted masked mother/daughter pair, called them scared sheep, and when reminded of social distancing laws, “coughed” on them, then laughingly calling it “allergies”. She continued to follow them around the store all the way to checkout, while being filmed by several parties. She was quickly identified by her LinkedIn page and On Wednesday, her employer said she’s no longer working there.

FWIW, I classify this as a Type II: Vigilante Karen. She believes she’s so right (and everyone else wrong), she can’t keep it to herself, but must share her “right” views with everyone, even people who won’t appreciate it.

21 Likes

I will say that the VA rollout of the vax mandate has been a mess. You are basically required to have a vaccine but they don’t have any way to collect information about whether you have or not unless you were actually vaccinated at the VA. People have been sending copies of their vax cards but they aren’t being verified or kept.

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bad study and should only be cited to show how a bad study can get press anyway.

13 Likes

Really weird, considering that I learned it would be a superspreader event when I found out 20,000 people were meeting in-person in the summer of 2021. Is my heuristic too broad, or was it just a really lucky guess?

I really like their use of minutes there.

I don’t know whether to use an emoji, a GIF, or a beer.

Feature vs. Bug, though.

12 Likes
18 Likes

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/kids-long-covid-coronoavirus-infections-79909960

A recently published U.K. study found about 4% of young children and teens had symptoms more than a month after getting infected.
About 30% of adult COVID-19 patients develop long-term symptoms, according to some estimates.

Important to understand that these are estimates, and the data is not sufficient to be definitive yet as to the risk. But the answer to the question “Do kids get long covid?” is unquestionably yes.

30 Likes

I have heard an anecdotal account of this… it was a teenager, who got a asymptomatic case (did not realize it) and then went from an A student to failing all her classes, etc. They did the anti-body test and sure enough… she had had it, and was not dealing with some aspect of long covid.

24 Likes

And that is the one that worries me. I foresee a significant jump in kids struggling with academics, especially kids who had not previously, and having it written off as not adjusting to remote learning or some such. The damage we are doing to the next generation will not be known for a long time to come, but I suspect it will not reflect well on us.

28 Likes

Anthony Anderson Reaction GIF

14 Likes

from

Wonder Years Reaction GIF

27 Likes

More nights than I care to think about…

14 Likes

Yeah, we’re going to be dealing with this pandemic, its after-effects and side-effects for a long time.

12 Likes