Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Right now I have a lot of sympathy for the boomers. Almost every one of them I know has watched at least one person die from this, more often several, and most of them can’t even hold a funeral. It hit their peer group hard. I imagine at this point the sheer morbidity of that has likely gotten through to most of them.

19 Likes

A few weeks ago the wife and I thought we’d try out an outdoor party, it was also a 90th birthday for an uncle we both like a lot.

We went early before anyone got there so we could wish him well and talk a bit before everyone got there. At one point his son showed up telling another guest how his assistant, who he works in close contact with daily, currently had covid. He was asked if he’d been tested before coming, nope. Oh, he’s a doctor.

The wife and I got up and left. Everyone was vaccinated and we were probably safe but I have heart disease and my cardiologist warned me to not take chances.

Be careful and trust your gut.

25 Likes

Monoclonal antibody therapy at two weeks in seems like a Hail Mary.

19 Likes

May he suffer the consequences of his actions.

14 Likes

It did. And I think that’s why more of them took the pandemic seriously. There are a few, of course. I can think of a couple, but most of them did the right thing.

14 Likes

WTF is wrong with my age group…

They didn’t get polio.

At least I have an “early boomer” Dad who survived that plague and tells the tale.

24 Likes

As a late Boomer, I’ll add that we all have the scar from getting the smallpox vaccination, and remember what a news story it was when they were able to announce that the disease had been eradicated from the entire planet.

22 Likes

3cdb48baa19119937e4304e78717853f72fca18d4ed9c35f32e4410f96dff2dc

17 Likes

My dad grew up in Pittsburgh and was one of the first in the trials of the polio vaccine. And yeah, there are stories.

16 Likes

Are we the baddies…?

14 Likes

Not all of you!

17 Likes

Only 42% of us…now I need to re-read Hitchhikers’ Guide to recall what’s so special about that number. I’m sure it means something :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

14 Likes

I never got a scar from mine. Wondering if that means I’m not protected?

11 Likes

Both my husband and I got the vaccine, but our scars disappeared over time. (So odd for me because I get keloid scarring; still have a massive thick scar on my left knee cap from stitches when I was five.)

ETA: Sigh. I still see my scar if I look hard, but it isn’t as noticeable as it was since my late 30s.

11 Likes

Not us, we’re vaccinated.

12 Likes

I wonder if people in that age range are generally less likely to get medical care of any kind. The only time I’ve gotten medical care in the last five years was to get the shot.

6 Likes

That was a great article. I’m sick to death of all the misinformation going around right now with people saying it’s pointless to get vaccinated because you can still get sick or pass it to someone else, and any other number of excuses. It’s beyond infuriating and seemingly inescapable. I see it everywhere - on TV, social media, non-social media, even at my workplace ostensibly smart people are spewing this exact same nonsense. It’s exhausting. I wish I could make it go away.

I fully admit that I’ve been to a few events this summer with large crowds. Even taking precautions like wearing KN95 masks (even carrying backups in case of an emergency), frequently sanitizing, and trying to social distance where possible I still carry a huge amount of guilt and feelings of irresponsibility about it - especially because everywhere I go there is such callous disregard by others. (Venue/city/county/state requires masks? Who cares? I’ll go without and nobody will enforce the rules anyway!)

I have one more event later this month that at least is a smallish crowd (<100 people) requires proof of vaccination at the door. This is my last planned thing until next spring.

I have no confidence right now in anything improving by then.

19 Likes

“Six employees in the unit resigned over the vaccine mandate, and another seven are undecided about getting the shot”

“ Cayer said 27 percent of the hospital’s workers — 165 employees — haven’t gotten the shot.”

Assholes have been putting babies at risk.

21 Likes

Same with me, which has made me speculate that I didn’t really get it. My parents had to go to some trouble to get it for me because they really were mostly done with them in my youth and the doctor was supposedly reluctant…

11 Likes
18 Likes