Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

True. But as that can happen, the vaccinated still do need to exercise caution. That’s not misinformation, thems just the facts right now.

But it’s no excuse not to get the vaccine.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

17 Likes
13 Likes

25 Likes

I am a huge (if conflicted) fan of NFL football. I am watching packed stadiums with 70-100k people screaming their lungs out with not a mask to be seen. And getting nauseated. Why are people so stupid?

24 Likes

Didn’t they switch to polio vaccines on a sugar cube at some point? Not everyone our age has a polio scar.

1 Like

Polio scar? No, never was. Smallpox scar, yes. Somewhere in the, maybe late 60’s? that ceased to be a thing. I never got that vaccine, and I am 1964.

11 Likes

I was 1965 and my wife 1967. we both have one of these on my shoulder. image
My youngest sister (1970) got hers on a sugar cube, iirc

Is it really from the smallpox vax? My whole life, I thought it was for polio?

11 Likes

I was referring to a smallpox vaccine.

5 Likes

No, smallpox was never oral. Polio was, but we switched to injection in the late '90s because with live virus (the oral version) there was a small but real incidence of polio infection from it.

16 Likes

Well, mine would have been in the ‘70s, it was a lot of trouble to find, and the doctor tried to argue my parents out of it. Reportedly, assuming I remember the tale correctly.

Looking at Wikipedia, they would have probably been done vaxxing in the US, but were potentially still doing it globally. So, I suppose the story checks out.

8 Likes

I also have this scar. It is from the BCG vaccine.

6 Likes

Oh, I remember taking a vaccine when I was a kid with the aid of a pneumatic pistol.

12 Likes

Ah, now BCG is a different animal altogether, but one that we have never offered in the US.

10 Likes
15 Likes

I was born in 1964, I seem to remember standing in line in the gym to get shot with some sort of gun. I also remeber getting a liquid squirted under my tongue.

The older I get my short term memory gets worse but I start remembering things from much longer ago.

12 Likes
16 Likes

No horse paste

17 Likes

I had missed this story when it came out last week:

Although it appears that government ministers may overrule their scientific advisors:

10 Likes

Lawrence Young, a virologist from the University of Warwick said, the risk of developing myocarditis was “significantly higher for those youngsters who have contracted Covid-19 compared to those who have been vaccinated with the Pfizer jab”.

While this is true, a complete view would need to take into account seroconvergence and vaccination ratio in the population and the specific age groups (children, parents, personell working with children), and surely many more variables I cannot think of right now, in this moment.

The UK is in a very different position of than many other countries regarding to available data. Medical practice and science have a much larger interface there, I gather. That’s one reason why so many relevant papers in this pandemic are being based on British data.

I just hope that they make the most of it.
And I hope that decision makers always are well-informed about the peculiarities, caveats and limitations in the data and the conclusions taken from the analyses.

It is bloody complicated.

8 Likes
16 Likes