Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Tell me that you’re a tool without saying any words

18 Likes

That is out and out hate speech. Even though it’s equally ignorant.

Pulp Fiction Movie GIF by The Good Films

19 Likes

38 Likes

Tonight Show Omg GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

18 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/woman-who-survived-1918-flu-world-war-succumbs-to-covid/ar-AAOZcHZ?ocid=se

Woman who survived 1918 flu, world war succumbs to COVID

12 Likes

This article is a preprint and has not been certified by peer review

11 Likes

Credit: Stephen Wilkes

20 Likes

I assume they meant it to echo the AIDS quilts? Very moving.

14 Likes

More info here…

12 Likes

(IMHO, the article—admittedly, it is an article about photography—really should mention the artist who made the “In America: Remember” art installation of flags, because without her, Stephen Wilkes wouldn’t have had that to take a photograph of. The installation was created by Maryland artist Suzanne Brennan Firstenberg.)

ETA: I believe that NYTimes article may not be paywalled, as part of their coronavirus coverage? I’m not sure…

ETA2: just to be clear—that NYT article was updated on Sept. 17, 2021, to include the second (current) phase of the project.

12 Likes

National Geographic has a good piece on it as well but alas paywalled.

8 Likes

The good news is that his fascion sense already skews towards Prison Orange…

4 Likes

Ooh! Totally. Doing. That.

7 Likes
11 Likes

I suppose that means that there is still a large disparity between black and white non-republicans?

“ What lessons can we draw from this? Most importantly, Americans with authoritarian tendencies are weak. They don’t know how to make decisions independent of authority figures in their lives (whoever they may be). Because of this, they fear making the wrong choice. They fear the humiliation and pain they believe comes with being wrong. Legally enforceable mandates make the choice easy by making the choice for them. Authoritarians are weak. Vaccine mandates helped save face.

Second, they don’t want freedom. Yes, I know. They say they want freedom. They say they will die for it. They won’t, though. They won’t do anything demanding sacrifice. What they want is the sense of community that comes with belonging to an authoritarian collective that does, in its own way, what mandates do — choose for them. So while they say they want freedom, what they desire is being told what to do. They don’t have the skills. Coercion and force come as a relief.

They are not rugged individualists, far from it, but they believe they are. That tells you their true ideology. The lies. All the lies. The wild, howling lies they tell about their enemies and themselves. The lies bind them together to form an authoritarian collective. But the lies cannot exist outside the group. As soon as the lies encounter democracy — that is, as soon as they encounter people who don’t already believe the lies — the lies shatter, causing authoritarians to feel enormous pain and humiliation. They retreat back to the authoritarian collective, where they don’t have to do the work of figuring out the truth.”

26 Likes

Looks like the Editoral Board was spot in.

“ The Chicago-based carrier said only 320 U.S.-based staff are now not in compliance with its COVID-19 vaccination policy, marking a 46% drop in the past two days.

Excluding those who have sought an exemption, United said 99.5% of U.S.-based employees now have been vaccinated against COVID-19.”

22 Likes
19 Likes
20 Likes
17 Likes