Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Are people waiting until 6 months after pfizer or moderna? It seems like a lot of the people getting boosters might be doing so too soon?

3 Likes

We waited 6 months and the site we got our boosters was verifying the 6 months.

5 Likes

Glad to hear it. Iā€™ve just had people asking me why I hadnā€™t signed up for a booster yet, when I didnā€™t get my second shot until June, which was when the state sign-up app told me to do so. They seem incredulous that I would be waiting. My position before was to wait in line and get the shot when the state figured they had covered most of the at-risk people first and it seems silly to rush it now.

6 Likes

How racism makes the impact of the pandemic even worseā€¦

:woman_facepalming:t4:

16 Likes

im at about seven months*, and just scheduled my boosterā€¦ based on what other people are saying here, it sounds like i was super lucky. i only scheduled mine this morning and the appointment is for tomorrow!

if youā€™re worried about appointment slots at all ā€“ i wonder if you might be able to schedule now for a time thatā€™s at your six month point.

(* when i first got my shots, i was working at a grocery store and was seriously considering lying in order to be seen early. retail wasnā€™t initially considered ā€œessentialā€ in my state :anger:. iā€™m not working there anymore, so i figured iā€™d just wait my turn properlyā€¦ iā€™m definitely glad they opened things up to everyone. )

9 Likes

I feel so owned

8 Likes

Well, it could be worse. You could feel pwned, which I hear is much worse.

8 Likes

My second Moderna shot was early/mid April, so mine was seven months. CA was a bit ahead of most states and actually signed off on boosters for everyone a few weeks ago.

9 Likes

I thought about spelling it that way but I suspect that would now mark me as an uncool old person

9 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes
10 Likes

Here in Finland, you can get a booster shot six months after your second shot. Currently, this only applies to 1) elderly, ie. people 65+; 2) people in medical risk groups; and 3) health care personnel who got the first two shots at an accelerated pace.

There are plans to extend the third shot to everyone, eventually, but since we still have ~15% of eligible people who havenā€™t had any shots (goddamn idiots), the focus is on pushing them into getting vaccinated.

13 Likes

As usual, I take serious issue with the wording here without even looking at the actual data (just out of experience) - but I take every good news I can get, even if I definitely consider this very likely to be overstated:

12 Likes

When my kids were ~9 and ~10 I took them to the supermarket one October day. They wondered why I was filling out forms at the pharmacy counter. ā€œSurprise, kids: flu shots!ā€ :grin:

Seems Theo Moudakis, Toronto Star, has an even better ideaā€¦

15 Likes

Iā€™d rather see Santa asking what they want this year. The kids could reply, ā€œI want to spend Christmas with my grandparents.ā€ Then Santa brings out the vaccine.

For adults, they could wish that theyā€™ll live to celebrate Christmas this year, but thatā€™s probably too much for a cartoon.

17 Likes
20 Likes

Sooooā€¦ how are they going to enforce the mask mandate in the outer burbs of Buffalo???

The shitshow is about to get really nasty in these parts

16 Likes

I wish I understood what is going on with New Mexico. We havenā€™t ever dropped the mask mandate, are 63% fully vaccinated and yet weā€™re still getting a nasty surge.

3 Likes

The good news is that our region of Peel in Ontario :canada: will be holding vaccination clinics at schools as well as the usual locations. A little dash of useful advertising does, I understand, help the numbers.

8 Likes

I doubt thereā€™s a satisfying answer. But itā€™s been a year since NMā€™s last big surge, and thereā€™s not a single state I can find that hasnā€™t had a significant surge sometime within the last year, with most of them experiencing a surge much more recently than NM.

7 Likes