Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

In Michigan Whitmer said she would be talking later today about things to do to fight this surge but so far none of it is mandates.

The comments in any article on the subject are the same people that wanted her dead when she got us down to 1% positivity rate. This time around they want to know why she isn’t doing anything to stop the skyrocketing numbers.

Maybe, you geniuses, it’s because our republican legislature did everything they could to take away any authority she and the health department had to slow this thing down. And also because you idiots refuse to get vaccinated or wear a mask.

17 Likes

So it goes. We are 75% and masks in public and passports for dining.

Weather is perfect for it though, and kids in primary schools are neither masked nor vaccinated, and we have not dealt with ventilation/filtration a year and a half into an airborne pandemic.

Rate’s sky high.

No doubt they will be looking at another “meaningful Christmas” where they keep the shopping open but tell you not to travel to see family by the time I get off work.

I’m unbelievably bitter about that. They’re dead now.

21 Likes

63% isn’t high enough to have a big effect on transmission. Basically, the vaccinated people are protected* but you need something over 90 or 95% in a given populating to establish those firewalls. It’s not something that’ll just be 60% as effective so it’ll take a little longer.

*It requires more virus to infect them, so it’s less likely they’ll get an active infection, the infection will be less severe than it otherwise would have been, and the window in which a vaccinated person is highly contagious is reportedly a lot smaller.

If the vaccination rate was high enough, that’d be enough to stop this, but it’s not.

**I am not an epidemiologist, nor do I play one on TV.

7 Likes

Who says God doesn’t have a sense of humor?

Cracking Up Reaction GIF

6 Likes
10 Likes

And yet there are assholes rioting in Rotterdam…

Wonder Years Reaction GIF

12 Likes

Starting today every employee in Germany who comes into contact with other people has to get tested daily unless they are willing and able to prove that they have been vaccinated or have recovered from covid in the past six months.

I hope this will motivate a few people to get vaccinated after all. Those people do not seem to care about their own health and giving the finger to society at large is easy and without the kind of consequence they care about. But once they have to explain to their boss that they would prefer them to jump through all those hoops day after day because they don’t want to be told what to do by some nerd politician on TV (or because the globalist commie-nazis want to inject them with nanobots), they may face some pushback.

15 Likes
9 Likes

the cool kids mistype in dvorak these days. ( which is like awned maybe? ) ah who am i kidding. the cool kids all use voice to text

2 Likes
13 Likes

27 posts were split to a new topic: Howard Stern for President?

7 Likes
19 Likes

Oh BTW turns out Moderna is the best vaccine, sorry Pfizer snobs :sunglasses:

14 Likes

A familiar name pops up to push pandemic conspiracy theories. It’s the aristocrat who headed up a failed bank, and wrote right-wing crank science.

8 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/europe/romania-covid-19-vaccine-skepticism-intl-cmd/index.html

Romania has one of Europe’s lowest vaccination rates.

Just under 36% of the population has been vaccinated, even though the country’s vaccination campaign got off to a good start last December.

Medical workers and officials attribute this low vaccination rate to a variety of factors, including suspicion of the authorities, deeply held religious beliefs, and a flood of misinformation surging through social media.

Suceava County, an hour’s flight northeast of Bucharest, has the lowest overall vaccination rate in the country.

Here, the manager of the main hospital, Dr. Alexandru Calancea, 40, talks about the particularity of this region, where he was born and bred.

“This county is very religious. This is an area that has a strong religious tradition, and a lot of religious people. […] Very few [priests] are pro-vaccine, and I definitely know some who are anti-vax. Most of them choose not to say anything, either for or against. We have proof, from the hospital, from patients who come from the same religious communities, where their priest, or their pastor, has advised them to not get vaccinated, just like that.”

In rural villages like this, poverty and lack of education, together with local leaders’ personal influence and traditional religious beliefs, can make for a deadly combination.

But the local Pentecostal pastor, Dragos Croitoru, insisted he was unaware of any deaths from Covid-19 in the parish. “Here in the church, we don’t have any cases of people who are sick with coronavirus. We have a zero percent mortality rate, I don’t know anyone who’s died of coronavirus here in our parish. And I believe what I see, rather than what I hear,” he said.

Despite hearing from CNN about the bodies of Covid-19 victims filling the morgue at Bucharest University Hospital, Croitoru was unconvinced. “Bucharest is bigger than Bosanci, as far as I know,” he chuckled. “We haven’t had any dead. Maybe we’ve had a few people who have been ill in the village, yes, as far as I know, yes. But the mortality rate in our church has been zero.”

15 Likes

Nordea investigates anti-vaccine report

Iltalehti writes that financial group Nordea has launched an internal investigation into a controversial investment analysis that was accused of blatantly promoting anti-vaccine views.

The analysis, which was published on the bank’s website on Sunday, reportedly criticised Covid-19 restrictions which “imprison the unvaccinated” and claimed that vaccines increase the risk of infections, rather than fighting them.

It also suggested that data regarding the number of patients hospitalised for the Covid-19 virus was unreliable.

The report sparked several heated discussions on social media platforms such as Twitter, with users pointing out that the views expressed were in stark contrast with Nordea’s official stance on vaccination.

Nordea announced it was taking the analysis off its website after MP Mikko Kärnä (Centre) drew attention to it in a tweet(siirryt toiseen palveluun) on Wednesday.

9 Likes

literally no one has died in our church. if they look sick enough, we dump them outside, he said probably

( not that american hospitals haven’t done exactly that to the uninsured )

insert why not both? i got one for my main dose and the other for my booster. ( tho might be why i still feel knocked down days later )

also wonder how much that’s down to behavior in countries where one or the other is more prevalent. if the the us was mainly pfizer and our unvax rate and death rate high vs some places mainly moderna, seems like it could skew the numbers some

11 Likes

I read that report. It was fucking bonkers.

6 Likes

That chart is just the U.S. :eagle:

5 Likes