Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

15 Likes
13 Likes

Other than what’s in the Onebox, it’s all unknowns so far.

13 Likes
9 Likes

oh good :frowning:

11 Likes

oops. sorry, i missed that.

well, probably it’s just that most of the pfizer folks were abducted by aliens after being selected for further research via the microchips. that too could, ummm, skew the numbers. :alien: :cow2:

5 Likes

That’s how you know it’s WORKING :grimacing:

11 Likes

So, two days after a Pfizer, still nothing. Can I go back and get another one?

3 Likes
9 Likes

So that’s a no, then.

4 Likes
12 Likes

In the 1940s and 1950s, the polio epidemic left tens of thousands of people disabled for the rest of their lives. Even after virologist Dr. Jonas Salk announced a successful vaccine in 1955, there were still heart-wrenching photographs of paralyzed children for whom that inoculation was released far too late. Some of the most powerful imagery from that period involves showing children in leg braces or wheelchairs, their miserable expressions suggesting a deep mourning for the quality of life they had forever lost.

Roughly 70 years later, the American Academy of Pediatrics (APA) has released a report, which includes a familiar warning that those who lived through the polio era will recognize: If children are not protected against COVID-19 through vaccination, it could haunt them for the rest of their lives.

Don’t think there’s anything new here, but perhaps the vivid opening could be useful to convince some.

22 Likes

The news today on this is moving very quickly. Lot of additional info in this article.

My brother-in-law is in South Africa right now visiting his sick (but not with covid) dad. When news of the variant first broke yesterday my sister immediately booked him an expensive last-minute direct flight back to the US for later today. We’ll see if he makes it out but it’s probably going to be very close.

17 Likes

So, let me get this straight: the :uk: is running a case rate among worst of the planet and is apparently pretending (along with the :us:) that it’s all over, but its corrupt, intellectually paralyzed government is putting :south_africa: on a “red list” for this new variant. That new variant must be bad… :man_facepalming: It is also, apparently, already in :belgium: so I’m guessing travel restrictions are wee bit late. Edit: WHO designates this as the “Omicron” variant.

11 Likes

I wonder if news of this new variant is why US stonk markets are plunging today.

10 Likes

This is because the vaccination rate in under Africa is still under 8%, because Africa hasn’t gotten enough vaccines while the rest of the developed world is on third shots and starting to talk about six month tuning boosters for new variants.

We have the vaccines. They do not. Of course it’s more of an interest to monitor and control it in South Africa (and the rest of Africa, and that one guy who went to Hong Kong) , because they DON’T have the vaccines to control COVID amongst their population yet still and probably won’t for another year or two at the rate developed nations are buying and using them.

4 Likes

15 Likes

THANK YOU for the tip. I had the same problem everywhere being booked for weeks. Went to the little corner pharmacy in my neighborhood this morning, just to ask if they took walk-ins. The lady said fill out this form, they stuck me and even made up a new CDC card with my previous information. Couldn’t have been easier

16 Likes

Angry Work GIF

10 Likes
11 Likes