Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Good explainer about the new variant:

16 Likes
17 Likes

5 Likes

The people advocating that we should “just learn to live with covid” obviously forgot to tell covid.

20 Likes

Always with the remakes…

6 Likes
9 Likes

Dr. Know warned us about the Omicron variant

MAGA-bred super-COVID could happen, of course. I understand why you’re concerned: One shudders to think what kind of twisted mutations a virus could get up to inside of, say, Marjorie Taylor Greene. But since the U.S. only has 2% of the world’s unvaccinated people, it’s about 50 times more likely that the next virus to end all viruses will come from overseas.

This means that if we’re serious about depriving the virus of its R&D operation, we shouldn’t waste our time beating our heads against the wall over the 90 million Americans who’ve said no to the vaccine. Instead, we should start with more low-hanging fruit—the roughly 4 billion people around the world who haven’t had a chance to say yes to it. Otherwise, when the death-dealing Omicron variant (or whatever) comes to wipe us off the map, we’ll have no one to blame but ourselves (and by “ourselves,” of course, I mean “each other”).

Do Vaccine Refusers Increase the Risk of COVID Mutations?

16 Likes
11 Likes

a UCSF infectious disease expert believes the variant first identified in South Africa is already here.

don’t worry, within a couple of days it’s going to be down to close to zero :cry:

the exact numbers probably also depend on people’s behavior ( masking, etc ) but it does make the pharmaceutical makers’ excuses that it would take too long to open manufacturing in those countries seem extra especially hollow now two years in

11 Likes

Got my Moderna booster today. Just in time to get freaked about this new variant, but still glad to have gotten the booster!
:partying_face:

23 Likes

Happy Joy GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

16 Likes

So presumably, Courtney Dauwalter and Jim Walmsley are now trapped in South Africa?

5 Likes

Oh pooh

6 Likes

If they’re US citizens they may be ok. My brother in law was able to board a plane in South Africa for the US a little less than 2 hours ago.

12 Likes

The travel ban won’t go into effect until Monday, presumably to give the airlines time to adjust…so I heard on CNN

10 Likes

It appears South Africa is a little ticked, they did the right thing reporting the variant (thank you) and now they believe they’re being punished.

Mixed feelings here. It appears the variant is already spread around the world so what’s the point of the ban?

I get that the world is going into panic mode and I would hate to be the one making decisions that have real consequences, especially if those consequences end up meaning countries will keep data to themselves if they believe it will hurt them economically.

11 Likes

mostly to avoid responsibility for bad outcomes. “we closed the border, so it’s not our fault it’s here.”

the right behavior would be mandatory quarantine and observation for travellers while keeping the borders open. ive no idea if that’s even possible under us law though

and it is only for foreign nationals. american citizens can always return ( if they can find a plane. ) the biden administration explicitly affirmed that, but it doesn’t seem like the info has gotten around to people

when trump tried to close the border even to citizens, he had to roll that back. the panic he caused with everyone trying to beat the deadline meant the airports were jammed and became a perfect transmission… ummm… hub

closing borders and stopping flights can have unintended side effects like that :confused:

13 Likes

Yep . They’re all requiring COVID vaccination while talking their viewers into killing themselves.

18 Likes

That’s an important caveat. My brother in law booked a last-minute ticket home from South Africa and fortunately managed to get on a plane today. But the flight that he originally had a ticket for sometime next week got cancelled. Legally being allowed to return to the US doesn’t mean much if no airlines are continuing to fly from South Africa to here.

11 Likes

:man_facepalming:

21 Likes