Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Well, he is technically immune now.

11 Likes

If they’re not going to stop everybody, immediately, then it’s all just performative xenophobia

12 Likes

Kiddo got her second (adult dose for 12+) dose of Pfizer/BioNTech this morning at a large chain grocery store pharmacy. :tada::tada::tada:

When I got home and looked over her vaccine card, I noticed that the batch number of the vaccine used was the same as the first dose three weeks ago. This afternoon I went back to the pharmacy to ask about this because it struck me as strange that they were still using the same batch of Pfizer three weeks later. The pharmacist had that “please don’t let her be a Karen” look and assured me that they check expiration dates before every dose, which isn’t what I was asking. When I clarified that I was surprised that they were still using the same batch of vaccines, based on the numbers on the card, she said there isn’t much demand for first and second dose vaccine, just for boosters, and those are mostly Moderna. The vial that Kiddo’s dose came from will probably be tossed with unused doses in it.

This is a deep red, low vaccination state (fully vaccinated rate below 50%, one dose just above 50%), and I’m painfully aware of this unhappy fact, but having the evidence printed right there on her vaccination record that the older kids aren’t getting the only vaccine available for them was chilling. We’ve just come out of a Delta autumn, here comes Omicron winter, and the kids are vulnerable.

I’m also bracing myself for questions about why the batch numbers are the same, should we ever get to leave this hellhole of stupidity and go anywhere that requires proof of vaccination. I would hope that all I’d have to say is “Alabama”, but I don’t think that’s a reliable strategy.

28 Likes

Google says the caption translates to “my hero”:

23 Likes

Today, Japan slipped below 100 new cases nationwide again, with just 73 (and 12 of those were at airport quarantine) and only one prefecture in double digits (Osaka with 13).

76.5% of the population is now fully vaccinated, and 78.7% have had at least one shot, though I don’t really understand why things are going so well here compared to other countries with high vaccination rates.

The vaccination rate is pretty stagnant now. About 12% of the population is too young to be vaccinated, which leaves about 10% of the population as vaccine holdouts. Everyone is still masking up, of course.

12 Likes

This could go in the follow up thread as the arsehole’s disgusting performance was posted here when he encouraged an old and gravely ill man to leave hospital. I note that he is a sovereign citizen representing himself so I’m fairly confident he will see the inside of a jail.

20 Likes

Well Japan has a reputation for being better about masking than many other countries, so that may be a factor. Also, what’s the weather like right now? Cold places seem to be fairing worst right now.

7 Likes

The masking is definitely a factor.

Due to la nina, we’ve had a pretty mild fall, with days in the high teens and nights around 10 even into late November.

4 Likes

Less likely to harm other people if he’d simply jumped from a tall enough building, though.

4 Likes

Germany: Dozens take illegal mystery COVID vaccine before police shut it down

German police had to close down an unauthorized event billing itself as a vaccination center on Saturday after a doctor1) began administering COVID-19 vaccine shots he had invented himself, German media reported.
[
]

1) This guy:

14 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

14 Likes

Living in a state where they check vaccine cards everywhere for most major events, let me assure you that they don’t really check in depth. Most of the times I’ve gone to sporting events it’s been “at least two doses, good. Enjoy the game.”

11 Likes

Hm. If a bandit DIY vaccination center works that well, why not do one with Pfizer or Moderna?

6 Likes
22 Likes

Gee, I wonder what else America, Brazil, India, Russia, and the UK have in common? One more way fascism is a risk to the whole world.

I really wish they showed this on the news every time some bigot says the “China virus”.

16 Likes

Just as Chinese as fortune cookies.

14 Likes

Another hate filled small town

16 Likes

at this point shouldn’t “who’s less vaccinated” be a bigger effect than “where is it cold”

2 Likes

Look who’s good at predicting things:

12 Likes

Don’t worry until we run out of letters and go for video game characters, like the Bowser variant.

7 Likes