Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

6 Likes
9 Likes

The dedication and concern for the well-being of others that it must take to continue being a healthcare worker in the face of all this just blows my mind. Over a year ago they were getting bought food and given vigils for working on this, and over a year later they’re still at it and it’s all avoidable by now. Just…:woman_facepalming:t2:

15 Likes

Utterly predictable, and predicted. So long as the virus has immunoligically naive bodies to multiply and mutate in, it will continue adapting to the environment it finds itself in. Delta-plus, epsilon, gamma, omega, whatever, it will not stop until it is stopped. And we have thought leaders in our country and others who are completely sold on the idea of not stopping it, for whatever God-forsaken reasons they have. The bodies will continue to pile up. We in the US have enough vaccinated individuals to not wind up in the state that India finds itself, but tney will continue to pile up, and it will still be the poor, the minorities and the hourly workers who pay the butcher’s bill, before anyone thinks that it will hit red states harder this time. And this time around our healthcare system is already broken, we are exhausted, depressed and demoralized, and it looks as though the target areas this time around are underserved to begin with. Fuck, I am so tired…

22 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes
14 Likes

I hope they are smart enough to keep their borders closed a while longer.

13 Likes
14 Likes

Yeah. Just because you didn’t fuck up at one point of the pandemic doesn’t mean you are home clear. Just because you did in the early stages doesn’t mean you have to from there on in.

Like NZ isn’t home clear. How their border policy and vaccine strategy interact will be key.

16 Likes
7 Likes

Nicholas Wade’s article had the rank whiff of a piece written for order. David Baltimore’s “smoking gun” quote seemed odd for a scientist, and I wondered if Wade had hyped up the wording. (Short of the codons spelling out “Made in China”, who would use “smoking gun” rather than “strongly suggests” or “highly indicative”?)

5 Likes

Nononono, too early, too many idiots, please don’t do this.

13 Likes

I hope that they’re basing that on minimal community spread cases rather than % vaccinated. The latter is how you get to the former, but it’s no substitute for No Fucking Covid. (Or at least low enough that there’s real contact tracing.)

Even after I get my second shot, someday, I’ll still wear a mask and avoid large indoor groupings, etc. The vaccines are like a bullet-proof vest: great but no excuse to stand there and be hit by stray shots.

The speed at which new variants become the dominant strain in countries around the world show that we are still wide open to infection.

16 Likes

BTW Iceland isn’t in the EU.

3 Likes

Well just like here in the states, over across the pond these nationalist fools are haranguing their top medical professionals

10 Likes
15 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

On July 4th I’ll be two weeks out from my second Pfizer shot. If you think I’ll be celebrating by grocery shopping without a 3M 6200 respirator strapped to my face, well, you haven’t been paying attention. I take risks; I appreciate some danger in my life when its appropriate; I do all my own stunts and some of yours, too. But nah. Risk without reward is just a cortical shortcoming.

Delta Variant being the headshot with suspiciously good aim, in this analogy?

11 Likes