Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

6 Likes

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients | Nature Medicine

We found that 52% (32/61) of home-isolated young adults, aged 16ā€“30 years, had symptoms at 6 months, including loss of taste and/or smell (28%, 17/61), fatigue (21%, 13/61), dyspnea (13%, 8/61), impaired concentration (13%, 8/61) and memory problems (11%, 7/61).

Small study, with all the caveats that go with it, but adds to the evidence that young people with mild to asymptomatic disease are still at significant risk of longer term problems following recovery.

ā€œIt is worrying that non-hospitalized, young people (16ā€“30 years old) suffer potentially severe symptoms, such as concentration and memory problems, dyspnea and fatigue, half a year after infection,ā€ the authors wrote. ā€œParticularly for students, such symptoms might interfere with their learning and study progressā€¦ Considering the millions of young people infected during the ongoing pandemic, our findings are a strong impetus for comprehensive infection control and population-wide mass vaccination.ā€

It is also worth noting that this study was done on folks infected before the new variants started becoming a major player, and especially delta seems to hit young people harder.

19 Likes

And then there is this useless chunk of flesh

COVID vaccine safety: Sen. Johnson hosting Milwaukee event (fox6now.com)

MILWAUKEE - Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson plans to hold an event in Milwaukee on Monday, June 28, that will question COVID-19 vaccine safety, a story FOX6 broke.
The senator will be joined by those who say they had adverse side effects, including the wife of a former Green Bay Packers player.

Exactly what we need right now.

15 Likes

I use FFP2 masks that are better than cloth or surgical masks. It is not easy to find FFP3 ones. Some people here are going further and using Reusable Elastomeric Respirators Ć  la Walter White. These ones are way more expensive.

15 Likes

Mass vaccination saved lives, says study.

15 Likes

Turns out 10% of their population had the vaccine and the kremlin is considering vaccine passports

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been a loudmouthed* advocate of the Walter White motif this whole time. Largely because I truly feel like I canā€™t breathe behind a cloth mask, and am constantly ripping it off my face. But also because Iā€™ve been convinced this whole time that a proper respirator must, logically, offer better protection. So I definitely havenā€™t been sending either of those links to people I know with the word ā€˜vindicatedā€™ anywhere in the surrounding message. Nope, not at all. That would just be crass. And, scientifically speaking, premature. Itā€™s not even peer-reviewed yet!

*but most people canā€™t hear me very well when wearing one, so it evens out

5 Likes

darth vader spaceship GIF

I was looking for some proper masks for my Mom, she has this very same problem with traditional masks. IĀ“ve bought some very good ones by 3M at the beginning of the year, but now it is very hard to find this model in particular.

I was considering buying her a rubber respirator, but I am afraid She will consider it overkill. She had her two shots, but you know, even vaccinated people must take care.

6 Likes

I tried to work out some sort of ā€˜intercomā€™ system but could not find any mic that could handle being less than half an inch from the mouth. Everything I tried was just nothing but clipping, no matter what I did.

Thereā€™s a vendor on Amazon with the name Just Allergies or something very similar. I have had very good dealings with them throughout the pandemic.

3 Likes

Guessing itā€™s the part of Md. that still flies the Confederate battle flag.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Thatā€™s momā€™s 2nd shot done!

At the door, they made us swap for their surgical masks. I guess that makes sense for the people with the random cloth masks, some of those seem kind of dubious. Not so much surface wipe-down, as expected. Pretty fast and efficient. (So why canā€™t I get a gorram appointment?!)

15 Likes

At my hospital, when you enter the building, unless you are already wearing a disposable surgical mask they ask you to put one on OVER whatever you are wearing (which they provide, of course).

Otherwise, the trade-off would cause unnecessary exposure.

15 Likes

Pre-COVID, protocol was to take off any masks upon leaving the hospital. When I work in a hospital, I have to take off my own mask and don a fresh one, and then dispose of that one when I leave.

The idea is that any given patient might have a communicable disease or be immunocompromised, so removing outside masks before entering a hospital protects the latter and removing masks upon leaving prevents spread of the former.

16 Likes

The protocol I just mentioned was not for people who work in the hospital, but for patients and others who are coming in for appointments, pharmacy, etc.

I certainly hope the protocol for medical workers is more finely tuned!

13 Likes

For sure! Just adding to the conversation.

Adding a mask on top of the patientā€™s mask is easier to implement than keeping track of who is wearing what.

14 Likes

Here it is, ā€œput your mask on in the car in the parking lot, when you change into scrubs, change to a disposable medical grade mask, which you can cover with a cloth one if you choose (I do), then reverse after work.ā€ Other than lunch break, masks stay on. I donā€™t know about fine-tuned, but it has become sufficiently routine that it pretty much goes without a hitch. I have had folks ask, ā€œif we are all vaccinated, why do we have to wear masks?ā€ My answer is always, ā€œwhy would you not?ā€

19 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s exactly their thoughts: the KISS principle in action.

11 Likes
10 Likes

Speaking for an exhausted medical community, please do not do this. We will do our best, because we are too damn stupid or bullheaded to do otherwise, but that gets more limited every time around.

18 Likes