Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

Unless they try a different approach…

8 Likes

The mRNA vaccine efficacy still boggles my mind.

12 Likes
10 Likes

Of course he did… god forbid people in power have actual consequences for their actions…

angry amsterdam GIF by Videoland

10 Likes

General Pazuello alleged he was feeling dizzy and asked to leave the room and postpone his testimony. The senators agreed and the inquiry will resume next morning.

4 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines trigger potent immune response

Preliminary results from a trial of more than 600 people are the first to show the benefits of combining different vaccines.

Vaccinating people with both the Oxford–AstraZeneca and Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines produces a potent immune response against the virus SARS-CoV-2, researchers conducting a study in Spain have found.

Preliminary, but they didn’t all melt, so there’s that.

20 Likes

Melting would be worse than Covid arm for sure.

Mommy, where’s Jimmy?

11 Likes

So we have to get ALL the vaccines now?

10 Likes
15 Likes

This seems kinda misleading, as if J&J were “better” somehow

when in fact one dose of J&J is 66% effective

as compared to one dose of Pfizer or Moderna being 82% effective

If one needs to jab people on a one-and-done basis, seems like Pfizer and Moderna are still preferable

8 Likes

BY COMPARISON

“The flu,” averaged over the last decade, killed about 100 people per day

The peak of the '17-'18 flu season, which was especially bad, was about 600 per day

15 Likes

Doesn’t the shot improve fertility?

Not to mention, being smart and not being disabled or killed by a preventable disease helps too.

7 Likes

It still provides 100% of protection from serious illness by covid. It keeps people out of hospitals and saves lives. The best one to get is the one that you can get.

16 Likes

Being hospitalized, intubated or dead certainly affects fertility. I guess “Covid dick” does as well, but I would focus first on those!

16 Likes

I’m getting Janssen tomorrow at lunchtime. Couldn’t hold me back. I’d have taken any of them.

As it happens I assume my booster next year will be one of the mRNA ones just because that looks like the way the wind is blowing. But I’ll take any, in the order public health decide works best for the whole population.

15 Likes

Being hospitalized, intubated or dead doesn’t have a terribly negative effect ones perceived masculinity. If ever there was a doubt that there were such a thing as toxic masculinity, it should be gone when one realizes that there are significant portions of men who are more comfortable with dying than with having ED.

4 Likes

almost 100%

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

of 115 million vaccinated people, about 1,000 people have been hospitalized, and around 200 people have died.

that’s an incredibly small number. and, like you say, the most important part is just getting vaccinated at all.

it’s part of why i think the cdc is wrong about this whole “hey, lets rely on the honor system to handle whether people need masks.” it’s too early, and some non-zero number of vaccinated people will be affected. more if the variants learn their way through the vaccines more easily.

13 Likes

That’s with the J&J? Good to know! Thanks.

6 Likes

i had looked, but i don’t think they’re breaking down. i’d guess it’s probably something like either: they don’t know, think the sample size is too small, or don’t want to discourage people from getting one vaccine vs the other.

it really is an incredibly small number of people. even assuming it’s a slight undercount, that’s way less than 1%. i think it’s exactly like you said earlier, any of the vaccines in the us are good vaccines.

11 Likes

At those kind of numbers it doesn’t really matter. The breakdown that is. If one was a major outlier the numbers would be significantly different. Or all that data is one of them if there’s a significant difference.

As I always say: if Vladimir Putin himself walked up with a dose of Sputnik I’d roll up my sleeves and tie off only checking that Vlad had a clean set of works on him.

8 Likes