Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

I’ve not only been vaccinated, I might get a million dollars for it!

In Ohio, you can enter to win one of 10 prizes of a million dollars, 5 to go to adults, 5 for kids 12-17. It’s supposedly incentivizing vaccinations, but I’m wondering if the state will use the contest entries as a vaccine database.
Which makes me think - is there a central databank of vaccination information? All we have as verification on our end is a piece of easily lost, stolen, or duplicated cardstock.

15 Likes

Yes, there is. I asked when I got my second shot. Someone’s keeping track. I can’t recall who the nurse said, but presumably the CDC.

12 Likes

Called it.

16 Likes

derry-girls-sister-michael-christ

13 Likes

In CA, there is a registration of all vaccines (including flu). My guess is that its mostly for possible side effects OR if a batch was recalled. It’s also good for parents of school-aged kids who need proof of vaccinations. People move around and records get misplaced. A new doctor could check for previous vaccinations.

13 Likes

Same in VA, but only accessible by medical professionals due to HIPAA rules, as it should be.

13 Likes

The small print said they would verify it with the Ohio Department of Health, so perhaps that’s where the registrations are. I had thought (mistakenly) that they’d do something that was connected to the strip on the back of the DL/ID.

ETA: The contest rules small print. I read the rules before checking the box that says I’ve read them.

9 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s the same here. I meant that a new doctor could verify vaccinations for parents who moved from one CA location to another. I’m not sure if parents can gain access to the database.

7 Likes

It’s not that simple. The studies were designed differently and had different endpoints. You can’t just compare the percentages, because the criteria for efficacy were completely different. Ultimately, the J&J was 100% effective at preventing hospitalization and death. The mRNA vaccines were far more effective at preventing symptoms, but had a small number of breakthrough cases that required hospitalization. (ETA:) However those cases were early post-vaccination (2nd shot) and may have been prior to full vaccination had been reached.

14 Likes

This is a valid analysis of pretty much every popular assessment of anything medical, or anything complicated in general, which is part of why at times layfolk have such issues with how we discuss them. And the Covid crisis has brought that to to fore in a way very few things have. As knowledge changes, advice changes and it is absolutely never that simple. Comparing differently designed and executed studies is an extremely difficult thing to do, and (IMHO, notwithstanding all the Cochran collaborations) best avoided if possible. Not always possible, but adds another set of difficult to understand let alone control for variables. My poor country brain ain’t cut out for that sheeet.

16 Likes

My neighborhood. Reminds me of that Planet of the Apes movie with the nuke worshippers.

8 Likes

Two days ago

Last week

Yesterday

Today

TEXAS!

17 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes

This was brought to my attention several days ago, via some screenshots of a subscriber. I am no subscriber, so IDK about the rest of the contents. I didn’t immediately post it because of the paywall, but decided that it might be still interesting to some who might have access.

https://amp.economist.com/briefing/2021/05/15/how-can-more-covid-19-vaccines-be-made-available

11 Likes
19 Likes

This will be a long-standing effect of the pandemic. It has become clear that HCW are not valued for their contributions and willingness to take personal risks to benefit the overall society. Many are saying that it is not worth it. And many have other options, and are taking them. We are down 5 nurses at my office. Have been hiring for months. No takers. I don’t blame them.

“Staff in nursing homes who have been on the front lines for months are not even making a livable wage,” said Robyn Stone, co-director of the LeadingAge Long Term Services and Supports Center at the University of Massachusetts. “These are not low-wage workers; they are professionals being paid low wages. So there are incentives for them to leave and go to a place where they’re going to get higher compensation.”

21 Likes

My mother was in hospital last week (she’s out now) and they advised us to come in. This would have been Tuesday so before the ransomware was supposed to have been in effect. Her swab tested positive, we told them that she’d had it in January. And the vaccine and it was news to everyone in the hospital each time we told them. My sister got a text saying to isolate, three different ones. Nobody else was contacted and no test and trace. The microbiology lab in Waterford (near Wexford where we were) seemed to communicate by pigeon. The doctor on the Covid ward complained about having to walk to the other end of the hospital to pick up test results on paper.

Which is a long way of saying: I think the hack was earlier than admitted and who knows what lovely surprises are in store from the scum who encrypted the health system. My particular sympathy for those with cancer right now as radiology is still offline.

On the plus side I’m in Lansdowne Road stadium looking out on the smooth green grass in my observation period after getting my vaccine.

19 Likes
10 Likes