Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

With all my usual “don’t hang your hat on one study” qualifiers, especially true when the study supports my own assumptions, I would say this at the very least calls for more study into longer term effects, as well as (as you allude to) recognition that “most folks don’t die” is not the same as “this bug is harmless.” The biggest unknown in my book is, does this eventually get better? WDKS, unfortunately, is the answer. I can only speak for myself, but I have no IQ points to spare, and i doubt many would willingly sacrifice theirs. Get vaccinated is the only rational option.

17 Likes

I’m not sure I buy the direction of causation given that it relies on a lot of self reporting.

1 Like

As a preliminary study, the use of questionnaires and web tools is pretty standard. Not definitive, but supports clinical observations and indicates need for more formal study. Also indicts folks trying to take this lightly and avoid getting vaccinated. So, yeah, good for what it is.

13 Likes

"Opinion | Anti-vaxxers can’t stop ruining things for the rest of America

i think a better title for the article would be: “opinion: reactionaries can’t stop ruining things for the rest of america.” would also accept, conservatives or republicans or trumpists as replacements

as even their subtitle says: antivax on both the left and right hasn’t really been a huge contingent or a huge influence in the us. it’s only covid that republicans have latched on to because trump politicized it and encouraged the crisis

11 Likes
10 Likes

Nine and a half minute video, with transcript below if you’d rather not watch.

15 Likes

Don’t need to watch it. I am living it!

18 Likes

She’s a real dish!

11 Likes

But didn’t an Israeli study show its waning efficacy? Why not purchase Moderna instead? (Not that a study on Pfizer’s says anything about Moderna’s.)

4 Likes

My understanding is that the waning effectiveness is due to the rise of Delta and other new strains, rather than immunity wearing off over time (though there may be that too… it’s too early to tell), meaning that, unfortunately, the same phenomenon will probably occur with all of the vaccines.

6 Likes
19 Likes
9 Likes

Uuuuuurgh. I wish the people behind the Qanon and this anti-vaxx bullshit could be tried for crimes against humanity.

11 Likes
10 Likes
17 Likes

One of the responses is worth reading:

A lot of these people are just testing themselves against the world to see what the world is going to do. It’s an American value to do so after all, and in America there are no consequences for it. I mean nobody’s making them take it down right? And they’re not getting sick with every passing day, so your restrictions imposed upon them are baseless.

This is how teenagers grow up, by testing themselves against the world and facing consequences for what they do for the first time. But like I said, doing so with impunity is an American value. Some of them even think that’s the freedom they were promised as Americans.

So they never grew up, and now for the first time at like fucking 40 or older they have no answer to a problem that won’t let them off the hook because it doesn’t want to deal with their adolescent bullshit. So they throw bigger and bigger tantrums with more and more money until it will because that’s how they’ve gotten past everything they’ve faced in their lives up to this point, and it’s always worked.

24 Likes

These dumbasses are performing viral harakiri

14 Likes
12 Likes

I have no words for the stories around here.
[ETA::I still wrote many. Deleted. Felt wrong. ]

9 Likes
27 Likes