Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 3)

18 Likes

Ouch.

Iā€™m partial to both my sense of smell and my love of foodā€¦

14 Likes
14 Likes

Pretty much what I said above. Sucky situation is sucky.

14 Likes

Version without pay wall.

15 Likes

Maybe?
I havenā€™t independently verified yet that the pharmacies arenā€™t requiring proof of age one state over. Iā€™m not worried about vaccine safety, considering that both Pfizer and Moderna have been running trials on kids her age and much younger for a while now. If there were problems, I feel pretty confident that would be a known thing by now.
But, that said, what if one of these kids is one of the rare cases of vaccine-triggered pericarditis/myocarditis? Are the parents going to investigated for child abuse? Or what happens if the family needs to travel where proof of vaccination is required and the birthdates on the vaccination card and the passport donā€™t match? And Iā€™m sure there are other aspects to this that I havenā€™t thought of.

8 Likes

That is a terrible position to be in. Is it possible to get into a trial for your childā€™s age? I have no idea how widely distributed those are.

7 Likes

I donā€™t think I could stop myself from responding in kind after they assaulted this woman. Worse than in kind.

19 Likes

Itā€™s that time.

UQKrvcx

15 Likes

I think my professional discipline would shatter. Shortly before his jaw did.

14 Likes

14 Likes

This is kind of shit that happens when cops only target certain types of protesters. How many years have they been letting them get away with this behavior in front of clinics whose policies conflict with conservative beliefs? Too many for me to want to count. Mask and vaccine policies are just the most recent developments to attract folks like this.

25 Likes

Nailed it. Violent fascist protesters travel across the country (or even across borders) to harass and beat vulnerable people, and the police talk about the First Amendment; nothing they can do.

Meanwhile, people protest actual violations of peopleā€™s civil rights - trans persons, POC, and the mentally ill are murdered by police - and they declare a riot and start the beatings, tear gas, and ā€œrubberā€ bullet headshots.

23 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(21)00324-2/fulltext#seccesectitle0013

This is a research paper.
Itā€™s published, not a preprint.
Itā€™s a prestigious journal, not something obscure.

Of course we could discuss criticism, maybe on different levels. But when I even think about diving in, I ask myself ā€œwhatever happened to erring on the safe sideā€.

This describes the contents, if you want a digest:

13 Likes

ETA: Full headline: Biden administration purchases extra Pfizer doses to prepare for possibility of children vaccine needs and booster shots

12 Likes

If people want to make the choice not to vaccinate themselves and put themselves and others at risk, well, you do you. But the rest of us need not bear the consequences of that decision.

15 Likes
9 Likes

For those who follow the ā€œFall of Civilizationsā€ channel they have a sister channel related to the history of fighting germs and human disease, in particular Smallpox. Itā€™s pretty new.

8 Likes