Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

The piss drinkers are at it again (Guardian reprint)

14 Likes
20 Likes

My first reaction was ‘no way!’ but then I thought about how the Nordic countries all have their capitals as far south as possible, and Moscow is over in that same general area/latitude, and realized that I’d learned something new today…thank you!

16 Likes

@mr_raccoon The protest—which some have warned could spiral into Canada’s own version of the Jan. 6

The last guy who tried something like that was shot dead on the spot by the Sergeant at Arms. Like the guys with the Commissionare epaulettes at the war museum, that many a young fool has learned, by eating dirt, not to mess with, the Sergeant at Arms role in Canadian parliaments is staffed by serious people.

Even the usually mildly right-wing CTV News network is editorially against this protest.

12 Likes

This makes me so angry. She’s not wrong that meeting in person is how we can all ‘see’ each other better as friends and neighbors, but this is just another example of “I’m done with Covid” with no actual reason for why NOW would be an acceptable time to drop all caution.

Here’s a hint, idiot: until we get our vaccination numbers up to 90% or higher, your hope of

Now I think it’s time to drop the virtual option. And I think this for the same reason I believed churches should go online back in March 2020: This is the way to love God and our neighbors.

ends up being the way you KILL your neighbors.

NYTimes opinion piece by Tish Harrison Warren: Why Churches Should Drop Their Online Services

Unpaywalled:

https://archive.md/f3Nqn

13 Likes

I’m clinging to my last scrap of humanity that stops me from posting stories like this in Good (Encouraging) Stuff. It’s hard.

18 Likes

from

34 Likes

The jackasses have done their own research and have concluded that landmines are no big deal and the real threat is ankle injuries from being carried. They believe their best course of action is to do wind sprints in the field and demand you respect their freedom.

24 Likes

I hope that lunar new year travel, plus Olympics travel plus Omicron, doesn’t add up to massive viral spread.

14 Likes

This afternoon I walked to the Target near me, where there is a CVS pharmacy inside the store, hoping to pick up the 3 free government masks for myself. Alas, there was a handwritten sign taped to the pharmacy window, saying “No Covid tests” and “No N95 Masks”.

I’m sad because I ordered some N95 and KN95 masks online before Christmas, that were supposed to arrive on or before January 8, and they still haven’t arrived. :disappointed:

Here’s some flowers and hearts for everyone here, to end this comment on a happier note :tulip: :sunflower: :tulip: :sunflower: :heart: :heart: :heart: :slight_smile:

17 Likes

This guy is doing his own research about the coming blizzard.

13 Likes

This is an article about Anti-Vax/Anti-Mask/Pro-Trump/Q-Anon demonstrations that have been taking place in major cities in Japan. Incidentally, the journalist who wrote this specializes in reporting on cults.

Even in central Tokyo, these demonstrations don’t seem to be attracting more than a few hundred people, but still…

Even if you don’t read Japanese, just scroll through the article and look at the pictures to get an idea of what these people are like. (Click on the icon that looks like a red camera to scroll through the pictures. If viewing on a smartphone, you will need to click on the large red button first. Do not click on the blue buttons, as these are ads.)

The article describes a minor altercation between the presumed leader of the demonstration and police, who told them to keep moving as they approached a vaccination center (their demonstration permit was specifically for marching, not stopping). The author also notes that a police officer said, “Please be warned. We are now commencing photography,” before starting to snap pictures of participants.

8 Likes

Nice thing to forward to people who mention they rather get a natural infection than a vaccination against COVID-19:

20 Likes

While the artists are getting attention, this is the letter that apparently kicked this off:

On Dec. 31, 2021, the Joe Rogan Experience (JRE), a Spotify-exclusive podcast, uploaded a highly controversial episode featuring guest Dr. Robert Malone (#1757). […] Notably, Dr. Malone is one of two recent JRE guests who has compared pandemic policies to the Holocaust.

I have to admit that I use Spotify. I don’t pay the family account I am using. I wonder if I will suggest to the one who pays it to close their account… :confounded: Typical dilemma. I know what is morally right to do. But it is inconvenient.

ETA: can’t post more than two consecutive replies. I think this never happend to me before that I held the floor for so long! Am I filibustering here? :wink:

Anyway:

@Jesse13927 , did you see this?

FTR, I can’t read more than the first paragraph, registration/paywall

12 Likes
14 Likes

I hadn’t seen that, but I looked up the the press release in Japanese.

This is very odd, though. It says that they are conducting Phase III clinical trials using ivermectin, but it also says that their findings concerning its effectiveness as an antiviral are based not on clinical trials, but on non-clinical (probably petri dish) testing conducted jointly with Kitasato University. Now, here is the good part: Satoshi Omura is a professor at Kitasato University, and he just so happened to have won the Nobel Prize in 2015 for the development of… ivermectin. The press release says that the joint research was initiated at Omura’s request. So…wow.

It is very strange that the English article does not mention that the findings were from non-clinical testing, as the Japanese press release makes that clear.

6 Likes

I have had several kids suffering with this. They come with weight loss and despair. One said, “I want to eat, I’m starving, but as soon as I put it in my mouth, I taste BO. I want to puke.” Then he started crying. It’s not a little thing, and it was not at all funny. These kids are seriously affected, and short of trying hot sauce or strong mint, or something utilizing a different sensory pathway, there really is no therapy for this. And I have no idea if it will get better.

26 Likes

this is a much better satire of the whole situation regarding covid/antivaxxers/etc. than don’t look up and takes less time, too–

12 Likes
14 Likes

Welp, I’ve had AZ, Pfizer and Moderna.

CharmingLinearHarvestmouse-size_restricted

20 Likes