Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

Yep; there was a ‘sick out’ today at my kid’s HS.

I expect that there will be a return to distance learning, soon.

17 Likes

Good. Kick Novax Procovid out of the country.

5 Likes
22 Likes

Essential employees…

Inside Out Reaction GIF by Disney Pixar

21 Likes
21 Likes

In a first for me, and understand, a statistical outlier, this morning I came into an inbox with 100% of the covid tests from yesterday positive. Sigh. And away we go…

35 Likes

in my county in texas, with a population of around 50,000, last week we had a 33% positive testing rate. every school district except for the largest has been shut down for remote learning until the middle of next week.

obviously it’s a crime against humanity for the president to require employees at the largest companies to either be vaccinated or tested. /s

20 Likes
13 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Scared Star Trek GIF

20 Likes

Just lost another nurse, leaving healthcare entirely. She has kids, single mom, can’t take the risk and stress anymore. I don’t blame her, wish her all the health and luck in the world, but this is going to break us. Death by a thousand cuts.

32 Likes

I’m sorry Doc!

21 Likes

Yep; there was a ‘sick out’ today at my kid’s HS.

We just checked our kids out of our Ontario :canada: schools for at least a couple of weeks; we are far from being alone in doing that. One teacher is sending a little “will you be there” survey around. Another teacher has apparently just learned about Long COVID and is freaking out. A friend’s teacher has outright resigned. School boards are asking for parents to fill in.

I sent a rather detailed list of reasons with links to research, as a resource…

11 Likes

Really?? How have they not heard about this before? This is the thing that keeps me up at night, man!

20 Likes

Usually the bad things happen on June 28th, but here we go.

11 Likes
12 Likes

The CDC recommendation for younger people to avoid Moderna shots shouldn’t be too surprising. Several European countries such as Germany and France advised anyone under 30 to use Pfizer instead of Moderna months ago. I just wonder how the CDC settled on the age of 18 as the cutoff when other countries are choosing a slightly higher age.

5 Likes

Conservative SCOTUS is killing babies.

15 Likes

Interesting Twitter thread–apparently in many places suicide and mental-health emergencies among school-aged kids have declined during the pandemic:

And another interesting thread (same guy) from 2020 about pandemic school closures that seems particularly relevant again (TL;DR: schooling is good and beneficial, but there are times when it’s not the most important thing):

13 Likes

25 Likes

One of my daughters mentioned when we were on a hike the other day that she wished the pandemic had happened when she was in middle school. Going to middle school in person is hell for most people, but especially those most in danger from depression, bullying, etc.

27 Likes