Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

2023 (pub date) of previous years’ data, compared to the or a flu virus:

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(23)00289-X/fulltext

Differences in clinical characteristics and outcomes between COVID-19 and influenza in critically ill adult patients: A national database study

Summary

Objective

Prior to the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, influenza was the most frequent cause of viral respiratory pneumonia requiring intensive care unit (ICU) admission. Few studies have compared the characteristics and outcomes of critically ill patients with COVID-19 and influenza.

Methods

This was a French nationwide study comparing COVID-19 (March 1, 2020–June 30, 2021) and influenza patients (January 1, 2014–December 31, 2019) admitted to an ICU during pre-vaccination era. Primary outcome was in-hospital death. Secondary outcome was need for mechanical ventilation.

COVID ain’t over.
It’s still plenty lethal.
And IIUC, it’s not necessarily evolving to a “milder” form over time.

ETA: clarifier re dates

9 Likes
11 Likes

Evolving to milder illness is wishful thinking. Smallpox, polio, measles, etc. never did. What they do is seek vulnerable prey, which means generally becoming diseases of the very young and very old. Especially in diseases with relatively low mortality rates this is the case. Coronaviruses as a family seem to have a trick for not leaving durable immunity very well, and mutating rapidly, so it may become more influenza-like, but will still hit the very old and very young the hardest. MIS-C is very much still a thing, although much less common with increasing levels of immunity. Of course it may also just do it’s own thing. It’s really good at that. But milder? No. I do not expect that at all.

13 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

Wow. That is really boggling my mind.

It has a big in mice written all over it, BUT I haven’t seen such a thorough in mice in a long time.

I learned a LOT from this study alone, and it makes my nerves tingle. I want to know more. Thanks for posting!

8 Likes

A cost-effectiveness analysis last year determined the value of Paxlovid at between $563 and $906 per treatment course, according to non-profit drug-pricing watchdog The Institute for Clinical and Economic Review.

Like a broken record, but DAMN IT ALL!!!

PROFIT MOTIVE HAS NO PLACE IN HEALTHCARE!!!

11 Likes

Hell, they probably make a pretty nice profit on Paxlovid at the original, lower price already. This is just gouging.

6 Likes
8 Likes

tl;dr

5 Likes
7 Likes

So… we’re putting HEPA air filters in all classrooms and offices, right?
… right?
… or Corsi-Rosenthal boxes?

13 Likes

Hopeful. Not ready for primetime, but hopeful. I will take hope at this point.

14 Likes

Similarly, we estimate that India’s death toll is actually in the millions, rather than the hundreds of thousands

yep, I thought so.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Earlier this week, I was in a doctor’s office with a very crowded waiting room. I was the only one wearing a mask and two people kept coughing. :grimacing: None of the nurses or doctors were masked, which was new (and disturbing).

Watched Stephen Colbert last night talking about recovering from his third case of COVID. Meanwhile, I’m looking for nasal filters to use in case eating at a restaurant can’t be done outside or on a balcony. They’re not ideal, but better than nothing. :woman_shrugging:t4:

11 Likes

This weeks masking-on-planes report:

I observed the most masks on a plane in well over a year this week between San Francisco and Portland. At least a third of passengers both ways wore masks!

11 Likes

My wife and I have been going out, for the first few times in a long time, patronizing a local place which has gone all in on air filters.

10 Likes

This is fun. Which is it? Over or not.

2 Likes
3 Likes