Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

9 Likes
9 Likes

Oral Nirmatrelvirā€“Ritonavir as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19 | New England Journal of Medicine (nejm.org)

The incidence of symptomatic, confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection by day 14 (primary end point) did not differ significantly between each nirmatrelvirā€“ritonavir group and the placebo group. Symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection through day 14 was confirmed by means of a RT-PCR assay or rapid antigen test in 2.6% of the participants in the 5-day nirmatrelvirā€“ritonavir group, 2.4% of those in the 10-day nirmatrelvirā€“ritonavir group, and 3.9% of those in the placebo group (Table 2).

So, yeah, does not work for postexposure prophylaxis. Well, thatā€™s unfortunate. We have used it that way for a few compromised patients, with mixed results. And this does explain why that was. Good to know, but unfortunate.

12 Likes

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(24)00206-4/fulltext

13 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes

Thereā€™s no indication that you can get covid from a squirrel.

Yet.

10 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes

This jibes with what we are seeing here, but I will never trust this bug to settle into a predictable pattern. Coronaviruses are not like that, and this one seems to be even worse than usual.

14 Likes

Agreed. I was at a hospital yesterday for imaging, and didnā€™t see anyone else wearing a mask. :woman_facepalming:t4: Meanwhile, weā€™re seeing reports about COVID cases among Olympic athletes along with news about the current wave:

13 Likes

There is a very good reason I never stopped masking. Seeing more of them now, but still not nearly enough.

14 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

15 Likes

What. The. Actual. Fuck!!!
Banning covid vaccines, ending treatment for long covid, what has Alberta done? Thatā€™s worse than FL or TX!

15 Likes

Comedic interlude

ETA:
Argh! Iā€™d listened to a good part of the video when I posted it, and it really helped on a stressful day of real estate ping-pong, but I didnā€™t realize that he was going to hook a turn into questionable material later on. Sorry! (And nope, I donā€™t think context is an absolute defense for bad material.)

Too bad YouTube doesnā€™t have an end-at parameter.

5 Likes

Yes, Olympic athletes, part of that aged demographic with serious health conditions who are the only people who get covid.
/snark

5 Likes

Sounds like the vaccine ā€œbanā€ is just something from one of the dumber representativesā€™ wish lists. The AB government is fond of courting the various assholes and idiots who object to public health interventions, but they often donā€™t do anything about it.

On the other hand, the long covid treatment thingā€™s maddening. I suspect they want to do away with it so there wonā€™t be any significant org out there to draw attention to the LC problem.

If you donā€™t keep records, itā€™s not real, right?

6 Likes
8 Likes

More updates on next generation and pan vaccines:

https://absolutelymaybe.plos.org/2024/07/31/more-signs-of-broad-protection-from-next-generation-covid-vaccines-update-19/

8 Likes