Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

I would argue against using the word cabal here. This is no conspiracy, there is no secrecy, even. This is just plain and simple egotism, a lack of professionalism and intellectual capacity.

Which is rather widespread.

4 Likes
14 Likes

Oh goody. My state just removed almost all mask mandates and everybody is running around acting like the pandemic is over. My workplace which was originally pretty on the ball with closing down before COVID-19 became a full blown pandemic is now aggressively herding everybody back into the office.

I’m still masking when going out despite the odd looks I’m getting, and really hesitant to go back to the office. I’m just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

17 Likes

Same here, but it sucks. If someone actually gives me shit I have a whole list of responses on speed dial, but I hope it doesn’t come to that.
I guess within a fortnight we’ll see how getting rid of all the mask mandates plays out
:pleading_face:

15 Likes

I’m just gonna yell HIPAA really loud and walk away.

7 Likes

It feels so weird that the US is at the bottom of this chart for the infection rate for once. I guess we should enjoy this while it lasts, which won’t be long if history is any guide.

12 Likes
15 Likes

I could’ve written the exact same comment.

It’s driving me fucking nuts.

like crazy GIF

18 Likes

I don’t think it’s that simple, though it could be.

I remember some standard GNU tool has a rant in its man page about how one side of the MB/MiB thing is “politically correct” and thus wrong

A dev has to be really shitty (e.g. Hans Reiser) to get canceled from the software business

3 Likes

Given that it’s from Hebrew, its use in other languages is almost automatically anti-Semitic and maybe should be deprecated in general :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m gonna use “my body, my choice!” aka the trucker rallying cry (at least here, ugh).

Shanghai is shutting down schools today but Shanghai Disneyland is remaining open for now, so at least the little ones will have someplace to go, I guess?

8 Likes

Is another wave coming?

10 Likes

Brazilian city that received most of the chloroquine donated by Mr. Trump is now trying to return the medicine that is stored in a warehouse.

Joinville, a city in the southern state of Santa Catarina, had stored 130,500 of the 160,000 pills donated by the former American president; other cities also want to get rid of the drug before the expiration date in October.

11 Likes

Yes. the answer is always yes.

15 Likes

We will weather the waves, and they will see us waving from such great heights

8 Likes

Do you have a source for that? The Apple dictionary doesn’t mention a Hebrew origin.

" cabal | kəˈbĂ€l, kəˈbal | noun a secret political clique or faction: a cabal of dissidents. ORIGIN late 16th century (denoting the Kabbalah): from French cabale, from medieval Latin cabala (see Kabbalah)."

Edit: I take it back. I should have clicked the link I included in the quoted definition referencing the Kabbalah
 :thinking:

TIL

5 Likes

This may or may not be significant as the sample data is pretty noisy, but definitely something we need to keep an eye on, especially with the new wave in parts of Europe.

10 Likes

We have the same thing in Ontario :canada:: wastewater samples show a rate about 3x that of the start of the Omicron wave here (call it 1 Dec 2021) and rising with the hospitalization rates flattening out and, most alarmingly, the death rate flattening at well above Dec 1 levels. There was some mucking about with the death count, which now excludes people who died “with COVID” rather than “because of COVID”. I put that down to politics.

8 Likes