Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 4)

They did meet virtually today, and Biden received the traditional shamrocks and was dressed for the occasion (no pinches!)

10 Likes

I got my booster shot on Wednesday night, this time Moderna after having had two shots of Pfizer. Yesterday was hell; I had a fever of 40C all day. I was delirious. Iā€™m feeling a lot better today, though.

I am really glad that I did it. This means that I do not need to quarantine when coming back to Japan after traveling abroad (I am planning to visit family back in Kansas next month). If a fourth shot becomes necessary, remind me to do it when I donā€™t have anything else going onā€¦

16 Likes
5 Likes
10 Likes

Good article, at least as I skimmed it, but there are some differences in the two vaccines. A large part of the problem with the flu shot is the fairly frequent misses, where due to the lag between deciding what strains to include in this years shot and the actual administration, the bug shifts or drifts and suddenly the effectiveness of the shot is seriously compromised. We have had years where the effectiveness was only 20-30%. People know this history, and it an make the shot a tough sell for some. Covid also (obviously) shifts and drifts, but MRNA technology is much more nimble and can to changed almost as quickly as a new variant can be characterized. There is still the issue of unrealistic expectations. Nothing will ever be 100% effective. Education can help there, but I have hopes for the ability of scientists to keep pace with covid. Not so much in the public at large choosing to do the right, smart thing though.

16 Likes

Who knew you didnā€™t need multiple polio shots.

4 Likes

No Way Wtf GIF by Renee Hribar

10 Likes

Oh my. South Korea has reported an astounding 1.8M cases of COVID-19 in just the past three days, including over 600,000 yesterday. This is unbelievable in a country of 50 million people. What is going on?

11 Likes

They do proper monitoring and testing?

Sorry, could not resist.
This is unsettling, given that WDKS is still true in regard to long-term impacts.

8 Likes

For the record: if youā€™re seeing reports about the WHO recognising ā€œDeltacronā€, aka BA.1 x AY.4, please be aware that they are listing it as ā€œvariant under monitoringā€, aka ā€œI see you!ā€

I See You GIF

So far, WDKS, and early opinions on it areā€¦ early.

ETA: also, IDK why this hits news now. The WHO included the variant on 9.3.22.

8 Likes

And just like that, less than 3% to 10%. Hopefully itā€™s an anomaly but who knows.

Michigan had a test positivity rate of 10.16% on Thursday, reporting that 3,151 of 31,003 diagnostic test results were positive.

6 Likes

Ivermectin Didnā€™t Reduce Covid-19 Hospitalizations in Largest Trial to Date

Patients who got the antiparasitic drug didnā€™t fare better than those who received a placebo

20 Likes

JOE BIDEN WONā€™T LET ME TAKE PLACEBOS :crazy_face:

11 Likes

just message me your address and your credit card info. iā€™ll getcha all the placebos you need. heck, iā€™ll do one better and send you images of placebos

limited time offer. act fastā€¦

14 Likes

If I buy an NFT of a placebo can I metabolize it on the blockchain?

14 Likes

i think the word you might be looking for is ā€œmetastasizeā€ :sob:

10 Likes

Given the amount of people Iā€™ve met who believe in magic/faith/energy healingā€¦

:pensive:

7 Likes

And Hong Kong is treated separately (until it comes to violent oppression).

12 Likes

I had the big one 10 years ago, they even prepped my wife for the worse possible outcome.

When I went back to work a guy that worked for us tried to convince me to walk away from the doctors and medication to put my faith in God who would heal me.

I pointed out God did save my sorry behind by providing all those doctors, nurses, procedures, etcā€¦ that day to save me.

Nope, he tried explaining thatā€™s not how it works.

I walked away.

15 Likes

Good for him. Assuming you are not Vulcan.

I hope you never come into anything close to such a situation again. Neither the big one, nor the person talking without using logic.

5 Likes