Convicted child rapist Roman Polanski: #MeToo is "collective hysteria" and "you can't stop laughing" at it

Dude who abuses vulnerable people and then avoids being held accountable for it says campaign to hold dudes who abuse vulnerable people accountable shouldn’t exist. News at 11.

16 Likes

Your point being…maybe we should go easy on him cuz those were different times?

My dude, I’m just like … no.

13 Likes

Well the “tortured” part is certainly true—he once came home to find his wife and unborn child had been brutally butchered by the Manson family—it just doesn’t excuse his actions in any way. He’s just a big messy ball of human tragedy and pain.

8 Likes

Olszewski told The Associated Press that stripping Polanski of his Academy membership bore signs of “psychological abuse of an elderly person” for “populist goals.”

giphy

15 Likes

I would be shocked if his buddy and vocal defender Jack Nicholson hadn’t been up to similarly awful sex stuff around that time, likely at the same party. It was his house after all. (This isn’t a defense of Polanski, it’s an indictment of Nicholson.)

ETA: OK, probably not at the same party since Nicholson was apparently out of town when the incident happened.

5 Likes

He also argued in his own autobiography that while he’d given a 13 year old girl lots of champagne and had raped her, “she wasn’t unresponsive”, which is apparently his idea of justifying it.

4 Likes

Go easy on him? No. But I think that it is important to recognize that they WERE different times. In many ways much worse times, at least for vulnerable people like his victim. To a real extant, in a time when social mores are changing and in flux and the legal system is slowly adapting to that change, monsters like him and Kim Fowley will take maximum advantage and also convince themselves AND try to convince their victims that they are doing nothing wrong.

1 Like

Interesting perspective. Every now again I read an article that refers to something about the 70’s as the X sexual revolution and I’m like, “The wat?”. That was apparently the backdrop of the Bowie/Jagger affair and Sable Starr. It doesn’t seem like it gets talked about terribly much, which is why when it’s discussed I am always surprised to hear the details.

More frequently people make the offhand joke of, “It was the 70’s!” for why anything kinda was fine back then.

2 Likes

My thoughts on Polanski’s opinion:

20 Likes

Or that people won’t look too closely. Cf. Eric Schneiderman.

Many men are freaking out also because #MeToo is showing that they aren’t the great judges of character that they thought they were. Whereas women are a hell of a lot more used to discovering that “Mr. Fantastic” is a creep. For men, each new revelation is a shock. For women, it’s wearying.

Slightly tangential: want to see men suddenly become experts on consent? Bring up Brad Marchand. (And yes, I do think he should be fired. At the very least).

9 Likes

Did they revoke his Oscar?

This guy got support over his conviction from many high profile people. They should answer for that. Who works with a child rapist anywhere else?

6 Likes

What springs immediately to my mind is Roy Moore and the GOP. But I might be alone there.

8 Likes

And early childhood spent hiding from Nazis.

8 Likes

Religion? Politics? Sports?

11 Likes

True. There was this in 2003:

And then there was this:

Then again, they should be given a chance to retract, or explain their positions. (Although, how do you go about changing your kid’s name…)

4 Likes

Oh, if any of them would like to explain their working with or supporting a child molestor and rapist, I’ll buy the popcorn.

2 Likes

Gaslighting needs no further explanation.

4 Likes

3 Likes

What do homosexuality or sex out wedlock have to do with fucking children, exactly, please.

2 Likes