Cookie protection program

Originally published at: Cookie protection program | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Not to hijack the topic, but Ford is making the Maverick again?! My first car was a pea-green 1976 Maverick without power brakes. I forgot to mention that detail when my girlfriend borrowed it one day and she just about rear-ended somebody. The new Maverick looks more like a meh pickup truck.

Okay, okay, getting back to the topic, some of these are quite convincing, but it seems like 1976 is about the last time a car company published an owner’s manual as large as a pack of Oreos.

6 Likes

What do I do about the very specific sound the cookie packages make when opening them? My 3 year old can be engrossed in the same episode of Cat In The Hat for the fifth time this week, but he will magically appear in the kitchen asking what your are eating the minute you rustle a cookie or chip bag.

11 Likes

This is just a marketing campaign. They aren’t actually selling Oreos in these packages. Just awarding them as prizes, if you can suggest other clever ways to hide them— and do it on Twitter/Instagram.

2 Likes

My first was a 1973 Maverick in brown! Thing had over 300k miles on it before the body was finally too shoddy for me to keep patching it with sheet metal. I gave up and scrapped it when my foot went through the floor as I was clicking the high-beams off. The new one is actually a hybrid pickup and I’m kind of excited about that.

And to be on-topic…who wouldn’t immediately be suspicious if they saw a container of riced veggies in the pantry, since that sure looks like a freezer pack to me. Not to mention a vehicle manual wrapped in plastic? Pick the right camouflage for your target environment people!

5 Likes

The best way to hide the cookie package is in an empty shredded wheat carton. No one picks shredded wheat as a snack (unless there’s nothing else around). @bcsizemo - transfer the treats to either a ziplock bag or tupperware container while they’re napping, and stick that into an innocuous box. No telltale wrapper noises, no giveaway package.

10 Likes

giphy (7)

16 Likes

Except in the EU and California, you ‘have’ to tell us they’re cookies. :smirk:

5 Likes

Weirdly, it’s just advertising these other products on Oreo’s boxes. . . are all these companies owned by the same huge conglomerate, the RAMJAC corporation perhaps?

4 Likes

And by analogy:

For best results, the book should open on the “thou shalt not steal” verse.

5 Likes

Not to yuck anyone’s yum, but no one ever needs to hide their Oreos around me. They’d be perfectly safe.

3 Likes

Nah, you don’t need to hide these because Oreo Thins aren’t even cookies. They’re just part of the ongoing shrinkflation campaign by packaged food companies that sell us less for more and try to make us feel good about getting ripped off.

3 Likes

That photo, though… I’ll take ‘category errors’ for a vowel, please.

1 Like

c-is-also-for-crack

1 Like

giphy

2 Likes

I was thinking that the cookie company was getting advertising money and simply pretending that it was camouflage to deflect ire.

3 Likes

I don’t see how some of these could avoid suspicion- who keeps packages of t-shirts in the pantry or kitchen cupboard? Don’t the veggies belong in the freezer? Encyclopedia Brown would sniff this out toot suite.

Dunno, I prefer them, thanks to the pandemic when grocery delivery meant you’ll take what’s available and the regular were out.

2 Likes

No Safe is safe from a lockpicking lawer…

3 Likes

Quite right. They should be kept in the freezer, so on a hot day you can put one and and feel refreshed.

4 Likes

These are great kid snacks. It’s my kids second favorite right after chocolate granola.
(But then again I don’t give them chips or other high calorie “junk food”).

2 Likes