If you want Oreo to stop releasing weird new flavors, stop buying them

Originally published at: If you want Oreo to stop releasing weird new flavors, stop buying them | Boing Boing

5 Likes

My only complaint is I want to try the novelty flavors, but I don’t want to buy an entire thing of Oreos knowing I’ll just eat them all since I live alone! Give me a smaller pack of them, and then I’d buy them all!

18 Likes

CM doing oreo lines

16 Likes

Why would we want them to stop doing it? My personal favorite is the not-so-weird mint-fudge-covered Oreo (long ago, Nabisco had a cookie called Mystic Mint that was discontinued; this is the closest equivalent). Oh, and at xmas they have the peppermint stick Oreos, those are good.

10 Likes

I’d be more willing to try some too. The birthday cake ones, a flavor we thought we’d like in our house was incredibly nasty. As in one bite out the cookie, throw the package away nasty.

6 Likes

I just want them to bring back the gingerbread ones they did this past Xmas… those were awesome

4 Likes

My favorites are the carrot cake Oreos, which are a pretty good substitute for the real thing when I don’t want an entire slice of cake. There are even other makers of sweet things experimenting with weird flavors.image image image image

5 Likes

I rarely buy the new flavors, but it’s nice to have some variety on display from Oreo and other brands as well- who wants to see nothing new every time they go to the store? My only complaint is that if you ever end up really liking a flavor variant, it’s probably going to be gone within a couple months.

1 Like

back when I was eating gluten, I would buy a slice of carrot cake from the grocery store and it was so big that I cut it into 3 pieces and it took me monday-to-friday to finish it.

3 Likes

The waffle and syrup Oreos were fantastic. I really want them to go into regular rotation.

3 Likes

When is the Gwen Paltrow flavor going to be released?

5 Likes

Another (major, I believe) purpose of all the varieties is to take shelf space away from competitors.

11 Likes

I mean, isn’t that the whole point of marketing products in the first place, to make the most amount of people buy and enjoy your product? I mean a whole lot of Super Bowl ads is they often show something that have nothing to do with the main product, but get people to enjoy the main product, or seek it out.

3 Likes

This is part of it. Because of the way shelf space is allocated in most supermarkets, it is much easier for a manufacturer to get space for a variant of a known product than a whole new product. Every mass-market producer does this these days, Oreos just happens to be unusually prolific because the base product is so easily manipulated.

6 Likes

. . .but what if someone took my last limited edition Oreo?

2 Likes

Hydrox. they preceded Oreos™ to the market and are (slightly) superior in every-way, including the name.

8 Likes

I wish Hydrox were easier to find. They’re good enough they don’t need to dress up in pink and green and dare you to try Swedish Fish-flavored creme.

4 Likes

Joe Joe’s or GTFO

2 Likes

10 Likes

I was going to mention Neman’s, because they still have the ginger cookie and are my favorite in the cream-filled-cookie genre. Or, at least they did pre-covid… haven’t been in the store since then… The mint cookie is (was?) also pretty good.

2 Likes