Cooking (not just dinner)

I’m ducking out of this conversation.

i’m glad, since when it comes to japes and jests you have proven you’re a quack.

(someone will kill me someday for making a bad pun)

2 Likes

Or just tar and feather you. Sometimes when you wing it, the puns are rather fowl.

7 Likes

Generalissimo Duck has had a long day, and will take a nap in the fridge. When I pulled him aside he practically fell apart. Even though he was kind of a tool, I feel that he will be well appreciated.

6 Likes

Guess what awjt did today? I smoked 15 pounds of Salmon, that’s what.

13 Likes

I experienced a cooking revelation this weekend. I made a blueberry sauce to go on pancakes; it’s the second time I’ve had it, but the last time was months ago, and we didn’t have any almond extract at the time - it was still tasty.

Anyway, this time I actually had all the ingredients, and as soon as I tasted it, I was shocked at how much blueberry + almond tastes like saskatoon berries!

When I was a child, my grandparents would pick saskatoon berries and make pie, and I basically haven’t had that flavor in more than a decade, because saskatoon berries are hard to find, and prohibitively expensive online. Anyway, to find out that I could fake that flavor with blueberry and almond extract just blew my mind. There may be pie in my near future

6 Likes

Ya rat basterd :wink:

2 Likes

What a cool discovery, thanks for sharing!

I pick a bucket or two of saskatoon every year for the freezer just before the huckleberries are ready.
Wildcrafted/sourced food is one of my “things”. :slightly_smiling:

Saskatoon are a personal favorite, I think of them almost like mini-figs as far as cooking goes, I always figured if you cooked figs and huckleberries/blueberries together it would be saskatoon like, but you are right that they have that other flavor note to them.

I think I only have a cup or two left of the frozen berries, as I use them in my smoothies, darn, now I’m craving them.

3 Likes

Have you noticed the wild-foraging discussion that’s been started recently? Care to join in?

1 Like

Yes please. Thanks for the heads up!

4 Likes

You have to say this in Tom Waits voice in yer head.

“yeah, I suck”

Isn’t shaping the hardest part?

3 Likes

We are weird twins today… I also made bread!

3 Likes

What does it look like on the inside?

Fuckin’ gorgeous :smiley:

9 Likes

What is wrong with the kid and wife… I made tasty tasty brussel sprouts… sauteed them in the fat from 3 strips of bacon. They said we don’t like them. Well more for me I guess.

7 Likes

I could have made the crumb more irregular. I certainly had the first ferment solid for that. I had bubbles the size of princess pricklepants. (And they would have been stable)

But the loaf I made these peeps for, they are more of a “does it leak my mayo and Mustard” type. So I tightened up the crumb.

I am very happy with the addition of a third of a bottle of synergy kombucha, including all the dregs. I don’t know if it would work with a sandwich loaf, but for rustic it tastes great.

4 Likes

The hell? Is it the sulphur? Halved sprouts with a touch of balsamic is perhaps my death row meal. (That’s not true, a Thomas Keller roast chicken which I independently invented is my death row meal)

1 Like

You would think it will give you awesome farts would be incentive to a 14 year old boy too.

3 Likes

Or a middle aged, married man. Nothing funnier than 2am and saying to your better half, “Its hot box time!!” And throwing the covers over everyone.

2 Likes

I feel like bragging. This is the cake I made from my 30th birthday.

14 Likes